Debating a minor CPU upgrade - AMD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PK*

I'm looking for a cheap yet effective upgrade to my Thoroughbred XP 2400 and considering the xp Barton 3000. My current chip currently supports 256 L2 cache and 266 fsb while the 3000 has 512 L2 cache and 333 fsb, but the difference in the clock speeds isn't that much. I understand the 3000 also comes in a 400 fsb version OEM however I'm running pc2700 ram. The 3200 isn't a great option for this reason as well as my revision of my A7N8X Deluxe has had issues with the 3200.

I'm wondering how much performance increase I'll see in the two processors, and if it was worth the $100.

Overclocking my 2400 is an option but for now I'd like to concentrate on performance between the two processors stock.

Specs:

AMD XP 2400 Thoroughbred
Corsair XMS pc2700
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC

I have a feeling my cpu is my bottleneck. BF2 shows. If it's worth the $105 to get things running better, I'll drop it.

PK* said:
I'm looking for a cheap yet effective upgrade to my Thoroughbred XP 2400 and considering the xp Barton 3000. My current chip currently supports 256 L2 cache and 266 fsb while the 3000 has 512 L2 cache and 333 fsb, but the difference in the clock speeds isn't that much. I understand the 3000 also comes in a 400 fsb version OEM however I'm running pc2700 ram. The 3200 isn't a great option for this reason as well as my revision of my A7N8X Deluxe has had issues with the 3200.

I'm wondering how much performance increase I'll see in the two processors, and if it was worth the $100.

Overclocking my 2400 is an option but for now I'd like to concentrate on performance between the two processors stock.

Specs:

AMD XP 2400 Thoroughbred
Corsair XMS pc2700
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC

I have a feeling my cpu is my bottleneck. BF2 shows. If it's worth the $105 to get things running better, I'll drop it.
To me it would be, and yes I would guess your cpu is a bottleneck, because it sure isnt your gfx card, if you have $105 to spare I would do it otherwise the $400 you spent on the 6800GT is a complete waste. What you really need is a A64-3500+ system or better but that really gets pricey, $300 for the cpu, $125 for the mobo, and $75 plus for a gig of PC3200

PK*

Before upgrading the video card a few weeks ago (which I spent $230, new from a friend) I had been debating building a new rig priced at around $1200 which included an Athlon 64 3800 and 6800gt, etc... which I got lazy and turned down because I just don't feel like spending that cash right now and found this deal on the AGP 6800gt that I picked up. So dropping another $100 isn't too rough on the wallet, I need something will hold me over till early-mid next year and hoping this will do it. Then by that time a full system build for the specs we've both listed will only get cheaper anyway. The one thing I need this power for right now is BF2, then possibly COD2.

PK* said:
Before upgrading the video card a few weeks ago (which I spent $230, new from a friend) I had been debating building a new rig priced at around $1200 which included an Athlon 64 3800 and 6800gt, etc... which I got lazy and turned down because I just don't feel like spending that cash right now and found this deal on the AGP 6800gt that I picked up. So dropping another $100 isn't too rough on the wallet, I need something will hold me over till early-mid next year and hoping this will do it. Then by that time a full system build for the specs we've both listed will only get cheaper anyway. The one thing I need this power for right now is BF2, then possibly COD2.
My son is in kind of the same spot right now, he has a Sempron2500+ cpu/512mbPC3200/6800GT, he can run those two games pretty well but I'm sure he could use a 3000+ upgrade also, the only difference is I believe the Sempron (based on the T-bred core) has 333fsb not 266

forget what you've heard about fsb, bottlenecking at cpu etc. If battlefield2 is the issue make sure you have over a gig of ram, preferably 1.5gigs, and then take it from there. Also check aperture size in bios. the 2400 may not be the quickest processor but battlefield2 wants lots of ram (ABSOLUTELY VITAL, CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH) and a hotshot graphics card. I've seen people complaining about jumpy gameplay etc with 6800gt's, amd 3800+ processors... ram was the issue. Don't be fooled into thinking you must upgrade everything... ram is the answer here.

Signed: A concerned citizen..

PS Search the net, you'll see I'm right.
PPS These new technologies are a farce, agp never reached it's full potential, ide never reached it's full potential. Sli and sata will never reach their full potentials either. Don't let the hype blind you.

I am running the barton 3000+ 400 mhz fsb ( not overclocked ) with pc 3200 ram and I get very good results all the way around. I only play HL2 but I have a good time of it with this combo

hello! i have a related question--
i have 3 compaq presarios, 2 6016us (1800) and 1 6430nx (2600).
i want to upgrade the cpu's to amd 3000 barton chips. can one upgrade factory machines? has anyone done this? does it work? my understanding is that it is possible, but that i need the motherboard model and manufacturer, and then would have to flash the bios. can i flash the bios? how do i do that for these machines? do i need to be concerned about more heat generation or will the factory heat sink work well enough? should i add a fan? if so, what kind? would i need to upgrade the power supply units?
thanks in advance.
larry

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Larry, how many times are you going to post your question!?! And how many times are you going to hijack someone else's thread?

lol tiple6, looks like he did it about 3 times.

Hey PK how much RAM do you have? Just to sooth falinx's worries up there.

larry101 said:
hello! i have a related question--
i have 3 compaq presarios, 2 6016us (1800) and 1 6430nx (2600).
i want to upgrade the cpu's to amd 3000 barton chips. can one upgrade factory machines? has anyone done this? does it work? my understanding is that it is possible, but that i need the motherboard model and manufacturer, and then would have to flash the bios. can i flash the bios? how do i do that for these machines? do i need to be concerned about more heat generation or will the factory heat sink work well enough? should i add a fan? if so, what kind? would i need to upgrade the power supply units?
thanks in advance.
larry
in a nut shell probably not,
1) what socket are your current pcz, they have to be socket A
2) do your current pcz have an AGP slot?
3) your current psu may not be adequate and a std ATX may not fit the case or the plug on the mobo
4) your case is probably too crowded and would not keep the Barton cool enough to use
so the first thing to do is to gather all the info about your current pcz, before someone can even take a stab at this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online