Debian Compling X programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Whiteskin

I Cnat seem to comple any programs that run under X in Debian. I think that they put the X programs etc somwhere wierd, but i cant know where, and want to know where they normaly are so i can symlink the directories

Look in /usr/X11R6/
Why dont you use apt-get?
Debian is hands-on for everything. Do your compilations complete without errors?
HTH
lynch

yea, I try not to do a lot of my own compiling in debian. If you alter something that is being handled by apt it will get overwritten if you aren't careful.

Whiteskin

Well, i cant compile because i dont get by ./configure. It goes threough the list, but when it gets to X it exits saying X libraries not found. I know for a fact that everything is installed, cause i use X daily.

Whiteskin

I'm reading the apt how to and i dont get how i can use it to compile fluxbox from source?

Can some one please give me an example?

Whiteskin

NOpe I dont get it. I'm So horribly confused. Please SOmebody... HELP!

Whiteskin

I'm trying out the unstable version 0.9

http://fluxbox.org/version-0.9.php

There is no package (as far as i can tell) for 0.9.6pre1

I have the libs installed. But this happens for any app that i'd like to build from source that happens to use X. I think that its because Debian has put them somwhere wierd to allow Xv4 and Xv3 to coexist.

Whiteskin

It turns out that you MUST have the xlib-dev package installed, because the base xlibs package is lacking.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online