1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Debian Dummy needs installation assistance

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by SpiritBear1, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpiritBear1

SpiritBear1 Thread Starter

Hi:

I’ve just been given a Dell Precision 3510 laptop running Debian.

At he same time I learned how to spell “Debian”.

I’m a slightly above average Windows user and still remember some DOS 3.1but am completely ignorant when it comes to UNIX, Linux or any of their descendants

Figured anything going on the internet should have an antivirus on it, so downloaded one from Sophos, When finished a window opened that is named “ sav-linus-free-9.tgz “. Within the window is a file named sophos -av. Another window opened which gave me the option of extracting compressed files. The 4 extracts are:

install.sh
    sav.tar
    talpa.tar
    uncdownload.tar

Clicking on install looked like the way to go, but when I did what appeared looked akin to an old DOS batch file; but nothing installed. When I tried highlighting the file and clicking “open” it did the same thing.

What steps do I need to perform in order to install the program?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

AFAIK....Linux doesn't require an AV. I've only ran them as a live CD/USB and not a full install. If I remember correctly, from with in the (linux) OS, from the start menu there was a place to download recommended software.

3. SpiritBear1

Thanks. Googled quick & seems >90% agreed with your assessment.

4. SpiritBear1

Upon further thought, I'd still like the step by step I requested or being pointed to a quick tutorial. Translated to Windows it would be akin to passing up the opportunity to learn how to download, unpack and install a program from a rar file.

5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

6. SpiritBear1

7. 2twenty2

2twenty2

You're welcome

8. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Although Linux systems don't need an AV per se, they almost invariably use a firewall.....this being a default component of the system. This is usually what's known as 'iptables', but needs a good understanding of the command-line to set it up correctly.

To this end, all of the Debian-based systems offer what's known as 'UFW', or the 'Uncomplicated FireWall'. This is essentially a GUI 'front-end' to iptables, which makes setting the firewall up a LOT easier for those newbies who are not command-line gurus. In fact, many 'veteran' users of Linux have always used this, too.....and modern Linux has just as many GUI-operated apps as any other OS these days.

You can install this very simply. You WILL need to open a terminal to do this, but all you need to do is to type in

sudo apt-get install ufw

.....then hit 'Enter', and the package management system will download it, and install it for you. (You can copy/paste the above into the terminal, if you want, to avoid spelling mistakes; Linux is extremely sensitive to spelling mistakes, y'see). I don't know the exact layout of the Debian desktop 'Menu' (I've never used vanilla Debian, I'm afraid) - a lot depends on which desktop environment you've chosen to go with - but you should find it under either 'Set-up', 'System, or 'Utilities'.

When you bring it up, there's a big switch at the top right hand corner, which you simply click to set it either 'On' or 'Off'.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!