1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decent backup solution

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pfiltz, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I bought an external 200 gig drive, and the bundled software was from Retrospect. I'm not wild about the software, because I can't purge old data from it, [selectivlely].

I want a backup solution, where I can dump data files and restore [copy back] if need be, and/or delete selectively. Is there a way within 2K server small biz, to create a scheduled task to copy data files to another drive, -vs- using a 3rd party software which may create disk images, data sets, databases, etc...

Thanks

2. Gazornenplat

Gazornenplat

Some years ago I bought McAffee QuickBackup.

You can select folders to back up and a location to back up to. It will compress if reqd. Backed up files can be straight copies, too. You can schedule it to run at a certain time, or when the PC has been idle for a while.

Trouble is, you can't get it any more, though you may be able to find it on the web. Also, when I installed it on all our machines at work, McAffee wouldn't sell us licences, but we used it anyway - we had proof that we *tried* to pay them.

I could email you a copy (obviously, this is for evaluation purposes only) if you send me a PM

Gaz

3. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Hi Gaz... I appreciate the info on McAfee. I might be using xcopy within a .bat file, and then using 2K scheduler to make my copies. I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best solution. I may take you up on the offer.

Regards,

4. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg

I just started using acronis true image 8 and it is working well so far. You can pull single files or folders from a backup, make a complete image or use it to copy drives. They have a help forum on their site also. I was able to buy/download from newegg for about 30.00.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you said you want to schedule copying files rather than using an image, you can just create a single line batch file to copy whatever you want to your backup drive.

For example, all my data, source files, programs, photos, etc are on my D: drive and the backup is G:

I either schedule or manually run a simple batch file that just has one line.
    xcopy d:\ g:\ /s /y /c /d /i /r /h

If you have multiple specific directories you want to back up, just create the entries. Very easy to to and does not require addional 3rd party software.

6. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Bob, exactly where I'm heading I think. Been doing some experimenting with the .bat and scheduler. Seems to work pretty good.

Thanks

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes it works great. Don't have to download anything new for something you can do already. Easy to make changes. Schedules or runs manually just fine.

8. johnni

johnni

"EZBack-it-up is a (free) personal file backup utility. It is designed to be very easy to learn and use. It is not an archival tool that compresses all your files and folders into one file, but instead, it copies your data to a destination of your choice where you can readily access your backed up files any time you need. All directory structure is preserved and you can optionally choose to delete files from the target that are not in the source. EZBack-it-up includes a built-in scheduler, command-line switches, logging functionality, and more."
    http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php
    I have been using this program for about three years without any problem and backingup to an external hard drive automatically on a daily basis. I note the web site currently states that work on the program has been suspended due to work activities but it is well worth downloading.

johnni

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

With that software, is there an equivalent to the /d switch in XCOPY so it only backs up files that are new or changed. I typically don't want to spend all the time to backup everything every time.

10. wedor

wedor

Another noteworthy itme is that we are talking about a server here and not a PC, some PC software will not run on a server.

As long as no files are open the copy option will work for data files but not for a system back-up.

A server based back-up solution is the only thing that will actually back-up the entire server and unless you are using imaging software as your primary back-up (very bad idea IMHO) you will also need and Open File add-on to back-up any open files.

I had a company lose 6 months of data because someone forever had the database open on one of their programs so it never got backed-up.

11. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Very good points on all topics. One good thing is I have all night to run the backups. I'm also going to want to backup files at 2 remote locations over a VPN to the target server in what I would call Primary Location.

Open files are a concern and should be addressed. One thing I want to make sure is that I can have some way of verification that the files backed up, are in deed good ;)

I'm torn between xcopy and it's switches, and canned software. I know what I don't want. Something along the lines of Retropsect that was bundled with my external drive I use at the studio.

I want to be able to back up to either tape or another drive, but be able to get a hold of a actual file, and not some image of a file. ;)

12. wedor

wedor

Retrospect Server SBS Edition and the Open File Option would cost about $1500 retail.

I am not aware of xcopy having any open file or verification capabilities, if all of this was so simple there would be no need for third party software.

Are you using the Exchange and SQL parts of SBS? None of the simple copy options will help with those programs.

13. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Sure, I'm not saying that xcopy has open file capabilities, I'm just pointing out that it would be a concern of mine. I have all of 3rd shift [8 hours] to run backups, with no one on the network.

14. wedor

wedor

Are you using all of SBS or just parts?

15. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I don't have Retrospect Server addition. I bought an external drive from an Office Max, or some place like that. It came bundled with Retrospect. I wanted to be able to go into retrospect, and delete folders once I had them backed up to DVD.

I'm a photographer by trade, and will be doing some partime network admin for a friend 3 or 4 hours each day.

I couldn't find a way to selectively, remove or delete folders from the disk images, or data sets within Retrospect. I even went to a forum dedicated to that product. Still no answers on how.

I want to stay away from a product like that. ;)

At this time, I have 2 things I want to do.

(1) get a mirror image of all servers in production
    (2) setup some type of structured backup scheme

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!