1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decent Budget Video Card

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sammeh_Boy, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sammeh_Boy

Sammeh_Boy Thread Starter

I operate on an Optima WorkPro PC, it has standard everything, and I have recently gotten into Counter-Strike. I have about $150 AU to spend on a video card. Any suggestions/stores to buy from? Im looking for something that will give better performance then the 16mB stock video card(pretty much anything) and maybe last me for a year or so.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

How much American dollars is 150$ AU worth?

Did you start playing Counter Strike, or Counter Strike: Source (I assume normal Counter Strike since you made it sound as though you have played it with a 16 MB card)

What are your other system specs? Those will also help determine what type of card to get.

3. Sammeh_Boy

Im running CS 1.6(retail version) it came with Counter-Strike: Condition Zero when I bought it, and also, $150 AU is about $80-90 US, it changes like once every week though. I've got a list of computer stats, but its huge, is there any bits in particular?

4. GCDude

GCDude

150.00 AUD = 116.084 USD = 63.9136 GBP

bits might be helpful to say is your cpu(and speed), memory and motherboard. Also do you mind buying secondhand?

5. Sammeh_Boy

I dont mind buying secondhand, as long as it works, im good. My info is now in sig, but my Motherboard is an ASUS P4S533-MX X Series Motherboard. Any other stuff you wanna know, just ask.

6. gaftop1

gaftop1

you need at least another 256 mb of ram just to let xp run effeciently let alone game.
    i had a nvidia ti4200 128 mb asus card that was only 40 bucks on ebay and it ran far cry and call of duty just fine on normal settings. little laggy on high settings.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

$160 9800 Pro 256 MB can be flashed and overclocked w/ an arctic silencer ($14) will get you what you want for under $180 USD.

8. Sammeh_Boy

So, it will cost me $180 US, and I can overclock it to the point where it will work good for like a year +? And is it compatible with my motherboard/CPU?

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

AGP 8x yah and actually itll last u about 2 years.

10. Savage1159

Savage1159

Make sure you have an AGP slot on the mother board, and you may only have 4x AGP if it does, depending on how old your system is. In the market for a used 64 Mb Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti? It's cheap ;-)

11. GCDude

GCDude

Yep that motherboard supports upto 4x AGP. I would recommend looking for a second hand ATI 9600/9700/9800 a quick look on ebay in the uk, see these going between £40-£80 second hand (not sure how that compares with ebay oz). These are much better than the mentioned Geforce3 or ti4200. Will also last a year+, although you probably want to add at least another 256mb main memory asap.

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I wouldn't get a 96 or 97, i'd head straight for the 98 as it will last you awhile not to mention 256 but if you get it old you may get the old 350 core and not the 360. The 360 you can flash to XT speeds and OC 20% plus add arctic vga silencer and get playable fps even max on brand new games.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice