1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decent Encryption on older computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lastrachris, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

Recently I have become suspicious of my neighbors using my internet connection, and a little bandwidth monitoring has confirmed this, so I decided to add the "WPA2-PSK [AES]" option on my router. None of this was a problem until someone who lives in the house brought home a quite "elderly" laptop whose wireless card could not support that encryption. Nevertheless I was forced to take it off and my neighbors are still using my internet connection. Is there any way I could still use that encryption and have that laptop be able to handle it? The computer is under pretty strict TOS so there can be no adding new hardware. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried wpa encryption
    do you think your neighbours are just taking advantage of the open wireless or breaking in ?
    you could try WEP or MAC filtering

3. lastrachris

Hah, I don't live in that sophisticated of a neighborhood, so they are just taking advantage of the open network. I want to be able to still have the N benifits too so WEP
    won't do that will it?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    use mac filtering and see how that goes

5. lastrachris

I have up to eight devices on my network, including a phone, so is there any way that I can just add my old computer's MAC address and it be let in?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need to add the mac address for all devices - whats the make and model of the phone ?

7. lastrachris

I mean it isn't going to be an issue, but I guess what I mean is there no way to just add an exception with the MAC address?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you try WPA-PSK TKIP? Most adapters can handle that, although some may need a driver update.

9. lastrachris

Hmmm... I don't believe I did. Let me give that a go.

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As suggested by etaf, have you at a minimum tried WEP encryption? I find it highly doubtful that this computer is so old that it won't at least support WEP. Chances are, it should support WPA as suggested by TerryNet.

With respect to MAC filtering with SOHO routers, it's all or nothing. If you turn it on, you have to enter all MAC addresses you want to allow access.

There's another option if you really have to run your wireless network wide open which will prevent your neighbors from getting in. But it requires a enterprise/business class solution which you may not want to spend the money or the energy to configure. The option is called Captive Portal. Before the AP/wireless controller/router allows traffic to traverse onto the internet or WAN, you have to use a username and password to gain access. The first webpage you pull up after connecting onto the network will be the Captive Portal web page where it will challenge you for a username and password. If you don't have the proper credentials, then you're not getting out onto the internet.

11. lastrachris

I used the option "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" and all the computers are connecting. It seems my bandwidth has increased by a margin as well. Thank you all for the quick response. The laptop in question as a single core 1.6ghz processor and half a gig of RAM so anyone else looking at this can feel better about their computers.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!