1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Decent pc, crappy performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by justanotherdanny, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justanotherdanny

justanotherdanny Thread Starter

i need help.

i ahe a decent pc, but when i try to run a game, my favourite shooter, i put the res on lowest and only get 25 fps out of it. i hve tried many screen recorders but i have not yet found one that does not cut the fps lower to 20. even obs lags the hell out of my pc.

specs:
    intel i7 quad core at 3.5 ghz. 8gb ram. Originally a windows 7 machine that was upgraded.

anyone with a remote idea of how to help me please do so... i am desperate!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Slow performance is usually due to too many running programs.

Right click on Task bar > Task Manager. Go to start up tab, and see which programs can be disabled.

Then again, it could be an infection. Google for "online scan" and download ESET and run it. It requires a bit of a wait for it to download it's virus signatures, but ESET is among the best.

3. RickAlan

RickAlan

I had a problem similar to this and it stumped me for a while, my hard drive light had a steady glow and was constantly searching and slowing
    the pc down. It turned out it was a defective SATA cable to the hard drive causing communication problems with it and slowing the pc down.
    The SATA cable was the 90 degree connector type and more susceptible to problems than the straight type. When I replaced it all problems stopped and back to normal. Just something to consider

4. RickAlan

RickAlan

I had a problem similar to this and it stumped me for a while, my hard drive light had a steady glow and was constantly searching and slowing
    the pc down. It turned out it was a defective SATA cable to the hard drive causing communication problems with it and slowing the pc down.
    The SATA cable was the 90 degree connector type and more susceptible to problems than the straight type. When I replaced it all problems stopped and back to normal. Just something to consider

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    justanotherdanny:

Do the following in your computer so we have more detailed information on its hardware and operating system.

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. RickAlan

RickAlan

i dont have a problem I was giving a reply for a possible solution from an experience i had.
    This is the first forem I have joined maybe i did a reply wrong?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm aware you don't have a problem.
    My reply was addressed to the person who started this thread - justanotherdanny

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. RickAlan

RickAlan

Thank you i am new to this

9. justanotherdanny

thank you all for the quick responces, but as far as i know, the sata connection has no issues, and there are no softwares running except obs and tf2.
    i have tried a lot of different settings, including recommended from youtube and me just messing around, but nothing has changed.

here is the sysinfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 7957 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 915 GB (387 GB Free); Q: 13 GB (3 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, SHARKBAY
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

Your Lenovo(unknown model name and model number) has a powerful processor and a weak graphic card.
    A more powerful NVIDIA chip-based graphic card should provide you with a better gaming experience.
    The GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphic card is a popular one and isn't power-hungry.

What's the model name and model number of your Lenovo?
    What's the brand name and model number and wattage of its power supply?

justanotherdanny likes this.
  11. justanotherdanny

i am not sure, all that i know is that the pc is over 3 years old, and came with windows 7 that i updated to windows 10... so i was expecting something to be old and weak.

i was thinking that my nvivia was outdated because i could not get shadowplay, the other screen recorder

thank you for all the help! this explains all the problems that i had. i will get another graphics card.

and once i find the model information, i will put it here

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Without knowing the description of that Lenovo and its power supply, you're making it difficult to help you.
    The stickers/labels on that Lenovo's case will have all the necessary information for it.
    The sticker/label on the power supply inside the case will also have the necessary information.

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. justanotherdanny

yeah... the problem is that the pc is so old, i do not have the casing or other stuff; just the pc.

i will still look into it. hope to post the info in a day or so

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That comment makes no sense at all.
    The motherboard, power supply, graphic card, processor, RAM, etc. all have to be inside a metal or plastic case that has various type ports and the power button.
    That's a factory-brand computer, so it's going to have stickers/labels on its case.

15. justanotherdanny

sorry, i just started learning about pc and components a few weeks ago. i will take a look, but i think that the stickers have been removed.

i will see if i can open the case to find more info.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice