1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

decent system low benchmarks????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by epworth, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

iv recently put alot of money into my pc and my 3dmark03 score is very low when compared to other systems in my range and i have no idea why.. here is my system specs...

p4 2.4ghz 800mhz sb, 865PE chipset, 1 gig pc2700 ddr dual channel, radeon 9700 pro, audigy sound, win xp..

and my 3dmark03 score is a depressingly low 2020.. most games look and play great although i still do get some slowdown in ut2003 with everything on at 800*600 res which i dont think i should... if somebody could explain why im getting such low scores or help out in the matter it would be much appreciated..

2. active95

active95

There are couple of suggestions .. ( if you did do them , then just disregard)
    1. Use the latest Cat drivers for ATI ( right now at 3.6 ) and Sound Blaster
    2. Latest BIOS for the board
    3. If you have a CRT monitor use a higher refresh rate ( somewere in the 85+ Hz)
    4. Even if you have a gig of RAM , might wanna use the msconfig and take a look at what you are starting.
    5.If you have high quality RAM might wanna use CAS 2 instead of 2.5 or 3
    6. Defrag the hdd before 3DMark
    7. Tweak the ATI settings ( instead of 4 AA use 2 AA , etc..etc..)
    8. In BIOS might wanna take a look at the AGP transfer rate ( make sure it's on AUTO at least and not on 2X )
    HTH

3. Rache

Rache Banned

Happy birthday. Another answer could be is that some of these benchmakers are just scareware, like PC Pitstop et al.

4. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

ya i have done a few of those i havnt bothered to upgrade my drivers because i had issues with the 3.5 ones but maybe ill give 3.6 a try... iv updated my bios twice and both times i ended up having to reformat so id rather not try that again.. my startup is fairly clean aside from services only 4 startup programs none of them real resource hogs.. my ram is made by crucial i dont know how to switch the cas though.. ill check around the bios again but i dont think it even allows me the option to tweak my agp transer rate anyway thanx for the suggestions ill try some of them out see what happens..

5. active95

active95

I've done the update to 3.6 and saw an improvement. When it comes to the 3Dmark , honestly i don't care what the score are.
    Why ? Well for the simple reason that both ATI and Nvidia "cooked" up their drivers to get higher scores. The real test IMHO is when you're playing games. If there look smooth as glass with no frame rate drop , be happy and enjoy them :D

6. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

true and games do look nice and play fairly well for the most part but even in them i dont think im getting the fps i should be getting.. in battlefield 1942 at 800x600 i get around 45, ut2003 with everything turned on at 800x600 i get around 50, q3 everything on 800x600 around 70fps... good definitley playable but nowhere near what i was expecting to hit according to all the reviews iv seen on the 9700pro..

7. pronute

pronute

Lots of money don't always = performance, however your hardware choices do look good it's how you configure the hardware that gives you performance gains not how much you spend on it, if your not to familiar with configuring BIOS setting to maximize performance take a look at this sight it explains every thing in easy to understand terms.lost circuits

8. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

i have a fairly good understanding of the bios obviously still alot to learn though... the problem is my bios doesnt allow many changes, very few change but it does offer the ability to overclock (which im not really interested in at the moment).. and according to my cpu and ram benchmarks on sandra there is nothing wrong in that department i get very good scores the problems seem to be in the graphic card department... or maybe 3dmark just really doesnt like my pc :(

9. pronute

pronute

I wouldn't put to much faith in any Benchmark programs there to easily slanted towards marketing, however if you are getting any lagging at all I would head to the video card manufactures sight for support, they have a wealth of good information they made the card after all. And if it comes down to a driver issue don't forget to remove every last bit of the previous drivers and software first sometimes you have to uninstall from add and remove software. Also use the driver updates from the manufactures of the video card rather then from the Chipset manufacturers.

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

11. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

ya i just emailed support at ati so hopefully ill hear something from them and im just about to go and update to the 3.6 catalyst drivers hopefully i have more luck with them than the last ones.. and iv already posted my problem on the rage3d site and continue to get responses from them but still no fix im just hopeing the problem isnt faulty hardware...

12. Chris A

Chris A

Could you post a link to your post at Rage 3d. I have seen this question asked before but I am curious as to what it is that might fix it.

My 3dmark is quite a bit higher then yours but I also expected higher numbers then I get in that benchmark.

13. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

14. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Exactly what are your system specs? ie; P4 2.4 complete ID, mobo brand and model number, Brand and ram number(s), Radeon("Built By" or "Powered By" ATI), Retail/OEM, which Audigy sound, which version WinXP(Home or Pro), Harddrive(s), CDrom, DVD, etc. This sounds like it might be a configuration problem. This bothers me though:

"iv updated my bios twice and both times i ended up having to reformat so id rather not try that again.. "

What BIOS did you start with and what BIOS are you running now?

Do you have aida32 installed on your system. If not go here and download the Enterprise edition. Link:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

This will give you the info on your system hardware, including memory timing settings etc.

With more info this may move along more smoothly.

15. epworth

epworth Thread Starter

genuine intel 2.4 ghz 800mhz fsb
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 (intel 865PE chipset)
    crucial 1 gig ddr pc2700 333mhz ram (two 512 sticks running dual channel)
    enermax 350 watt power supply
    ati radeon 9700pro (built by, retail box)
    creative labs soundblaster audigy x-gamer
    40 gig western digital 7200 rpm hd
    garbage cd writer 24x10x40
    win xp home service pack 1 have all critical updates to date

im running catalyst 3.4 drivers for the radeon 9700pro because i had problems with the most recent ones which were 3.5 at the time, i dont think that should have such a severe impact on framerates though.. im running the most recent audigy drivers... in sisoft sandra i do well in the cpu and memory benchmarks but average in multimedia.. the bios im running now according to aida32 is Award Modular Bios v6.00PG... not sure what else i can give ya if theres anything else you need just ask id love to get this fixed whatever it is..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/148181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice