1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deciding on types of RAID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ipooptoomuch, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ipooptoomuch

Ipooptoomuch Thread Starter

Which level of RAID will give the best performance for 4 drives (2 fairly new ones and 2 old 8 GB drives). 0, 1, or 5?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you do some reading up on RAID. What do you hope to accomplish? You do realize that all the drives need to be the same size. If you have small drives, any additional space on larger drives will be lost in a RAID array.

What kind of RAID controller do you have, make/model?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not going to get performance out of 8gig drives; they are too slow.
    For raid the drives should be of the same size, speed, and cache. If not, they will work however you are just asking for problems.

If your two newer drives are of the same size, speed, and cache size, I would use them in raid0 and use the other drive for backup purposes. Running raid0 you MUST have a backup plan because if one drive fails, you loose everything. As an example I run two seagate sata drives in raid0 with a third drive used for image files and other backups.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Funny thing, I run two WD Raptors in RAID-0 with several non-RAID drives as backup. :)

5. Ipooptoomuch

Ipooptoomuch Thread Starter

I am just experimenting with software raid, I had a few extra hard drives laying around and some free time, Id be happy with a ~5 percent performance increase. I got raid 0 working by making an 8 gb partition on my 160 gb drive and still kept most of my data on the other partition (just storage its rarely used).

I was thinking about having both of the smaller drives be in raid 0 and using them for my page file.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are doing this for a learning experience, that is fine. If you are serious about reliability, performance, etc; software raid is a waste of time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!