Deciding to Build My Own Computer: Any Guidance, Please?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kashmiry

Hey guys. Any recommended websites I should buy the parts off of? A friend told me to just build my own, as in-store pre-built systems have rather large tags. And I don't really need the extensive (and expensive :O) warranties, I can maintain a computer just fine. I just need some help puttin' it together. Any tutorials would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

crjdriver

Newegg is about the best in terms of service. You might find parts a little cheaper somewhere else, however you will not find better service.

Once you decide on your parts list, post it here for evaluation. Go with quality parts; trying to go cheap will result in many headaches. I always tell people; quality parts and properly installed software do not crash, lockup, bsod, etc.

Kashmiry

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go with Newegg, their site seems easy to use. I'm looking to spend around $1500 total. With that budget in mind, do you guys think it's possible for me to customize a high-end pc? If so, I'll shop for parts soon, and if you could rate my rig that be greatly appreciated. :D

Kashmiry

A lot of things. Mainly gaming, but video composing, entertainment center, Java + other scripting. I just need a strong rig, and I've only got $1500.

Kashmiry said:
A lot of things. Mainly gaming, but video composing, entertainment center, Java + other scripting. I just need a strong rig, and I've only got $1500.
AMD Athlon 3200+ or better.
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (I've got the Deluxe model, whoopie. The vanilla model will be just fine)
6800 GT GPU (ASUS, BFG)
1GB of Corsair XMS
At least 120 GB HDD (Take your pick on brand, I have a Seagate, works fine.)
At least 450 Watt PSU
Operating system (If needed)
CD/DVD-ROM, Don't spend more than $60.
Samsung makes some nice flat LCD monitors.

If you've never put a comp together before, plan on reading through those guides and spending around 3 hours putting it together.

I recommend something like that. I actually put together my first rig last week with some of those exact components. Make sure you do plenty of research about each part and ASK QUESTIONS!

I wrote a ton of stuff on what you should look for yesterday but when i went to post TSG was doing their backup and I wanted to sleep, so here's the shorter version.

If you have 1500 to spend I would splurge on a dual core CPU and a really nice video card (6800gt or x800 or better). Go PCI-express not AGP. A gig of RAM would be fine to start with but you might need more depending on what games/video composing you're doing. You could get a flatscreen if you want just remember that CRT's are going to have better response times. There is no case in which you will not need an Operating System, there is always need for one even if it's only DOS. Linux and Windows are the most used out there. 450 watt PSU is right and do not cheap on that, Enermax is a good brand as is Antec. For the chipset go with Nforce4 SLI or better. Anyway pick some parts and post them here and we will see how good you did, that's the best way to learn.

Jackiefrost9 said:
I wrote a ton of stuff on what you should look for yesterday but when i went to post TSG was doing their backup and I wanted to sleep, so here's the shorter version.

If you have 1500 to spend I would splurge on a dual core CPU and a really nice video card (6800gt or x800 or better). Go PCI-express not AGP. A gig of RAM would be fine to start with but you might need more depending on what games/video composing you're doing. You could get a flatscreen if you want just remember that CRT's are going to have better response times. There is no case in which you will not need an Operating System, there is always need for one even if it's only DOS. Linux and Windows are the most used out there. 450 watt PSU is right and do not cheap on that, Enermax is a good brand as is Antec. For the chipset go with Nforce4 SLI or better. Anyway pick some parts and post them here and we will see how good you did, that's the best way to learn.
I would watch the dual core cpu stuff unless you want to be the "first on your block" sort of thing, also that may a budget buster. tha last I read about these there was still a few kinks to work out, however the way things go these days those may have become a non-issue at this point. The real problem is price, the cheapy version of these X2 cpuz plus your 6800GT would blow about $1000 right there.

A X2 cheap costs about 530 while a 6800gt is about 330 which adds to 860 which leaves about 740 for everything else. If you wanted to go for a Pentium D that would be even cheaper.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online