1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decision About New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by praglen, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. praglen

praglen Thread Starter

I have a 450mhz system with 64 mb of RAM, a 13.6 HD and all the rest of the bells and whistles (sound blaster, speakers, 19 inch monitor, printer and scanner, floppy, CD drive, etc.) Windows 98 OS.

I also have a UBS port for broadband, which I use 95% of the time. Otherwise, I use word processing (no business or graphics applications). My motherboard cannot be used to upgrade on most newer stuff, only a 100/133 PC RAM addition up to 256 RAM.

I have seen ads for bare bones boxes, like the following:

Specifications:
    Processor support: Socket A, AMD Thunderbird/Duron, up to 1.2GHz
    System bus speed: 200MHz
    Chipset: AMD-761 Northbridge and Via 686B Southbridge
    Sound: on-board AC'97
    Memory sockets: two 184-pin DDR DIMMs for up to 1GB SDRAM
    Expansion slots: five PCI, one 4x AGP
    Drive bays: four 5.25-inch, three 3.5-inch
    Power supply: 300-watt
    Form factor: ATX
    Drivers and manual are downloadable

Should I buy something like this and add on a larger hard drive and RAM? What specs will I need to make sure there's a UBS port, and other stuff I can transer from my computer?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi praglen

I think you mean USB ports. The newer board should come with these but to be sure you can download the manual and see what it says about USB. You old memory will not work with this board. You will need to buy new memory to use with it. Also check and see if the board has any ISA slots (if you are currently using ISA slots). You may need to buy a PCI board to replace any ISA boards. BOL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice