1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decoder Cards, Prehistoric?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WINME, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

Are decoder cards no longer needed with current DVD drives? Considering the CPU's and MoBo that are on the market today? :confused:

2. brianF

brianF

With the newer video card capabilities, drive speeds, processors, decoders are not needed anymore. Got an old one sitting in a spare box here on the floor, no sense putting it in as I don't need it, dvd's play just great without it

3. Deathblow

Deathblow

I was wondering the same thing. What determines the clarity of the DVD image? I know with my decoder card the clarity is excellent. However, my friend, who does not have a decoder card, has a noticeably degraded picture when viewing DVDs. This goes for multiple players and configurations?

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

Wow, that's just too much info for me.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Deathblow...

Actually I have both, haven't noticed any degradation in video quality between the two...

However...with the one that has a software decoder, every once in a while it will skip, with the DXR3 decoder card it doesn't...

6. Deathblow

Deathblow

We are still very confused by my friends dvd clarity. Games, pictures, etc are all perfect on his screen, however, DVDs are not. We have tried numerous different players and settings but nothing we do seems to improve it. The only thing I can think of is since it's a LCD, perhaps the DVDs are being played in a lower resolution and something isn't properly scaling them for the full screen. On my LCD however, they are fine. My native resolution is 1280x1024, his is 1600x1200.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!