1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Decoding

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by soslow24, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

Some of my files are in some kind of code (which just happened; I did not do anything.) Text does not appear, but small little squares. How do I change this into legible text, and what caused it .

soslow24

2. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

This is probably caused by opening the file with the wrong program. For example, if you open a .doc file in notepad, you will see all the formating data as well. The squares are just ascii codes (as all letters are) that have no visual representation. What file extention do your files have and which program are you using to open them?

3. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

I don't know any of those answers. Is there a way I can open the files without that knowledge? soslow24

4. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

You need the correct program to open the file to 'decode' them for you. Depending on what the files contain, you may be able to recover them manually though. Can you post the file names (including the .txt or .doc or .xls etc)?

5. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

AllI can tell is that it is a Microsoft Word file. soslow24

6. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

That's probably your problem then. Which program are you trying to open it with?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice