1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dedicated Paging File partition?? insanity?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bigwilliex, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigwilliex

Bigwilliex Thread Starter

I plan on using a 40GB Maxtor w/2MB buffer for gaming on an athlon xp3000+ (a7n8x-e) and 512 MB of kingston pc3200 DDR (dual channel) and a ti4800 for LAN parties.

This 40 GB drive is free for data mutilation and experimentation, probably with a LINUX partion eventually and all sorts of reformats. The other two drives are not options for use, the 40 must be used.

My idea is to create a 1024MB partition dedicated to the paging file on the center-most partition. I know this is mostly theoretical, i know there are issues with not booting from the central-most partition and so forth, but I want feedback from people who have actually TRIED this setup.
    Next LAN is friday, quick responses please? I'm overloaded with homework as it is, so I won't have much time to test it as it is. it would be a fresh XP pro installation (legit of course) to the second partition and so forth, probably a 4GB partition for just XP and such and hte rest for games space (I have a seagate 120 for permanent storage and an 80GB maxtor 133/8MB buffer for my family's normal use)

Please, only those who have had experience actually attempting this.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Just in case nobody has tried it...

I haven't tried it, but I don't see the point for it, it would just create confusion amongst the drive....I think that the most effective way to do it would be to have everything on one drive, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

3. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

4. mucko

mucko

Best thing to do, adjust the page file to be the same as in min and max. At 512 ram it should be 1536 in both slots. This is best so that the pagefile is growing and shrinking all the time. That is where the slow times come in. Set it at one size and forget it. Also place the pagefile on a different drive other than the drive with windows on it. I do this with all my computers and even the laptops that I give out at work.

5. Zonked

Zonked

Sorry to post "late"... Ive seen numerous recommendations that ideally your pagefile should be stored on a different disk than you OS so I did, using Partition Magic. Although both my drives are NTFS I created a 1.01GB FAT32 partition (was advised that a fat partition at the beginning of the disk is "fastest") after my C drive and before my D drive. I'm always tweaking/test different PF sizes, but I'm currently using a static size of 1024. Based on all the PF guides I've seen recommending to, I'd say go ahead and do it.

Nifty, free, pagedefrag utility

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!