1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defaullt folder locked

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by j6at, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j6at

j6at Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3985 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1800 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 290919 MB, Free - 221399 MB; G: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 38812 MB;
    Motherboard: Type2 - Board Vendor Name1, Type2 - Board Product Name1
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Recently bought a new computer from officeworks.
    After loading all the programs, I discovered that C:\users\officeworks folder is set as the default folder for MS office. If I try to save in a diff location, the computer displays a msg. “You are not allowed to save at this location you need adm permission. Do you want to save at another location Yes/No"
    No takes me back to the save window. Yes saves the doc in officeworks folder. I am operaating as the administrator. The staff at officeworks tells me they will have to reformat the drive to remove this lock. Is there a work around?
    Thanks, John

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    First of all I would make my self a NEW user account that is a member of the Admin group. Log out of your "Officeworks" account and log into the new one.
    Once it is set up by logging into it, then try and install your software.

If you have saved any data in the default folder move it to the new account. When you are sure that you have 1,000% of you data out of the old account, you can delete the account and files from the control panel.

3. j6at

j6at Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Dave. "Officeworks" is not a listed account holder/user. I, the administrator, am the only listed user. The guest account is "off". Hence, I cannot delete the "Officeworks" account. John

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Correct, that's why you need to create a brand new user first. See the "My Computer is in a Workgroup" video on the Microsoft site on how to create a new user: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Create-a-user-account

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice