1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default CD Audio Player (98SE)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mark4man, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Forgive me, but I've forgotten how to do this. I have a standard CD ROM Drive with my Dell, which is set as the default CD Music player in Multimedia Properties. When it plays music CD's, it sounds like s_ _ t! I'm assuming the quality will be similar for ripping.

I also have a TDK external CD RW, which I'm certain is capable of both playing music CD's & also ripping. I'm only given one choice for default CD Music player in Multimedia Properties > CD Music, however ("E", which is the standard drive.) How can I activate "F", which is the higher quality drive?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm probably missing something here, but it seems to me the audio cd's would play from whatever drive you have them in. The better question is which actual music player are you using for them, Windows Media Player, WinAmp, cdplayer or something else? And it's your sound card quality that will ultimately determine how good an output you get.

3. Jeckler

Jeckler

When playing audio CD's, normally only one drive in a PC is capable, expecially if the machine only came with one drive, and another was installed later. There is a separate cable the goes from the CD-Rom to the sound card that carries the audio signal. If your drive sounds bad when playing audio, this cable could be the culprit. The drive itself could be having problems too.
    In your case, your external drive should have two RCA jacks on the back of it, usually one is red, the other is white. You'd need to get a cable from someplace like Radio Shack that has two RCA plugs on one end, and a 1/8inch stereo mini plug on the other. The RCA plugs go to the CD-RW, natch, matching the colors (left and right) and the mini plug goes into your sound card, either the line-in jack, or Mic if you don't have line-in.
    Playing an audio CD should now be as simple as inserting it, and letting whatever player program you have start. Sometimes you have to tell the program to look at more than one drive for audio CD's. You really shouldn't have to change anything in multimedia properties. If auto-run doesn't work, or your preferred Windows player doesn't see the other drive as capable, but your CD-Rom has the play/pause and forward/back buttons on its face, simply use those to start your CD. The downside is that you can't control the CD-Rom from Windows.
    Make sure that line-in (or Mic if you had to use that) is not disabled in volume properties, so you can hear it, of course.

4. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

you just need to download a new media player

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Jeckler covered what I missed :) Yes there will be only one installed cable connection from the cd-rom drive to the sound card in your configuration because you are using an external drive. Sounds like he knows the right solution.

6. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Thank for the input.

It wasn't a cabling issue.

I actually solved the problem by replacing the TDK's startup app back into the msconfig startup group. Windows then recognized the drive; & I was able to select it as my default music CD player (& 1/2 of the issue was having the better quality drive as my default audio CD player. As you all probably know, attempting to play music CD's on a CD ROM drive is not all it's cracked up to be.)

Also: the utility I use is CDex; & it'd working fine, now.

Thanks again,

mark4man

7. slipe

slipe

The TDK is using the digital audio and the CD-ROM drive is capable of that as well. The cable is just for analog audio and isn’t necessary for either to play music. You should be getting excellent quality audio from either – especially if you use the digital. You either have a problem with your sound card or the driver for it. Go to the maker’s site and get the latest driver.

I’m still using an old ISA 16 bit Creative card and it produces decent audio. You need to find out why your reproduction from the CD-ROM is so poor.

Instructions for getting digital playback and some other issues in Win98: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archive/devdes/cddigital.asp

Simpler instructions: http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/faqs/Optical/opt_April_1.asp

8. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Thanks.

That first link...that has to be it. The CD ROM drive I have is a relacement sent to me by Dell (when the old one crapped out); & I never changed any registry settings (which I didn't know I had to do.) I'll check it out.

On the technical point, I understand that "data is data", but there are issues with the reading of that data by CD ROM drives that are of concern (& which CD ROM is not well suited for in terms of the audio stream; the main one of which is that CD ROM drives use block read, as oposed to syncronous read.)

Thanks again,

mark4man

9. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Well, now I'm really in the dark. Couldn't find any of the registry settings (from the Microsoft link), so I checked CD Music in Multimedia Properties; & my 2nd drive, the TDK, is not listed as an available drive. Went to Device Manager in System Properties...not listed in there, either. Despite replacing the TDK's startup app in my startup group, the only time Windows recognizes the TDK, is when the device is turned on at startup.

mark4man

10. slipe

slipe

That is all theoretical stuff that few people can actually hear on a computer. My Plextor CD-ROM evidently does synchronous reads and I can’t hear the difference between that and my IDE drive which doesn’t. I have read that synchronous reads can actually cause audible noise if it is handled improperly by the computer – maybe old information.

You said ” When it plays music CD's, it sounds like s_ _ t!” If it sounds like crap to you because you assume from your deep theoretical knowledge that it should sound like crap then you are stuck with it. But if it actually sounds like crap on decent speakers with a decent sound card then something is wrong. If it sounds equally crappy on both drives on completely different busses I would first update Cdex or try a different player. Then download the latest driver for your sound card. If it just sounds crappy from you internal drive I would try to set up digital play and bypass the analog cable.

I’m not at all familiar with external CD-ROM drives. Did you look in Control Panel to see if TDK might have established a different heading? Why not just leave the TDK on? Most CD-ROMs are on all the time and don’t burn a lot of juice.

You can refresh the bus it is on in device manager rather than reboot.

11. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

What is it with you? I'm not claiming any "deep theoretical knowledge"...I'm just talkin' shop...just trying to solve a problem in a discussion forum.

The damn CD's skip in the cheap player! They freakin' skip, as in huge *audible* gaps in the playback.

Forget it.

MF

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice