1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

default defaultbackup problem in chrome for bookmarks

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by undisputedking, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. undisputedking

undisputedking Thread Starter

I was trying to solve an annoying problem with THIS WEB PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE message showing up all the time in my CHROME browser. I followed indeed ALL the forums advises on the issue to no avail. Till I found this procedure at START: to use "%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data", rename the DEFAULT as DEFAULTBACKUP folder,close the directory and see if the problem was solved. Which it was instantly !!! and my browser speed up as never before.But my Bookmarks and Extensions had disappeared !! Now I don't know how to retrieve my bookmarks, extensions and the rest of the configuration into my browser without coming back to the WEB PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE disturbance.
    Then trying to retrieve my data I went into that folder again and right-clicked on defaultbackup and then rename nothing happened it started showing recycling dialog box. Then I closed the browser and looked up if I have got my settings back then I made a mistake by again changing default to defaultbackup. I want my bookmarks so desperately had so much work in it.

The final status of Appdata is I have now change default to defaultbackup and defaultbackup to defaulttold and got my just previous settings but I want the initial setting so what should I do further?
    Please help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can easily export and import the bookmarks: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en
    You will have to put the original profile back to the default name though to open again.

Or if you were signed into Chrome, just sign back in and it will sync again.

You may not want to bring over your extensions and configuration as that appears to be where the problem was if your current profile was having issues.

3. undisputedking

But the problem is I never signed-in to chrome earlier and also I had never import and export these settings and bookmarks also. I want some other way that helps me to get my bookmarks and what I think I would have to make some setting there only to change something in DEFAULT and DEFAULTTOLD.
    And sorry for late reply.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I thought you said you got your previous settings back but the error comes back? If so doesn't that mean you have your bookmarks in this profile as well? If so go to the Chrome menu, then to Bookmarks Manager and export the bookmarks, then rename the bad profile again, and import the bookmarks into the new profile.

Or maybe you can just copy the Bookmarks file that is inside the DefaultOLD and put it into the new Default folder, there should also be a Bookmarks.bak file, you can copy that and remove the .bak from it to make it the Bookmarks file.

5. undisputedking

No no let me explain!!!
    I first changed default to defaultbackup >opened chrome and saw everything gone > then i again went to appdata and there tried to change defaultbackup but something happened and it showed recycling and defaultbackup file eliminated automatically, I don't know how > i went to chrome nothing appeared no bookmarks > i again changed default to defaultbackup > opened up chrome and no bookmarks still > then I googled and then on some other forum i saw we must change defaultbackup to default and default folder previously stored to defaulttold to gets previous things > so I had actually reset my browser two times so now I went back one time > now I have just previous settings but I want the initial settings which had all my work > now I have then 2 files named Default and Defaulttold
    This is what actually happened. Now what should I exactly do? I never signed in to chrome before and I had never export those bookmarks anywhere so can't try those options so please give any other important clue.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, then check your Recycling Bin to make sure its not sitting there, if it is then restore it and copy the Bookmarks file from it. If you completely deleted the first Defaultbackup that you made then your bookmarks are gone. That's your profile folder and it contains all your settings and your bookmarks. Also check the other Defaultbackup folder you made, you may have accidentally merged them together; if so there may be a Booksmarks(1) file in that folder that you can rename(replace) the new empty Bookmarks file.

7. undisputedking

Yes there is a file named defaultbackup there? So as you say I must restore it and then find a folder named bookmarks in it? Am i right? Stellar recovery is asking for 5000 rs. to recover the stuff should i opt for it?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Data recovery might not work since you have been using the computer, files can get overwritten pretty quickly. Anyways there's free data recovery software such as Recuva and many others free for download.

Restore the folder from the Recycling Bin an, you can even Cut it and paste it to another location if you want. Once you have the folder recovered, open the bookmarks or bookmarks.bak file with Notepad and see if it contains your bookmarks.

9. undisputedking

Thank a ton brother you've got my whole life back to me. I had got everything in that all my past work, my contacts, my future plannings and as I am a researcher I also had 100's of books and 1000's of contacts in that. You've got me everything. Thanks again and I think you deserve whatever you aim for in your life and blessing are with you. Thanks again can't really explain what you've done for me.(y):):):):):):):):):):););););););)

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got your data back. You really need to do backups of important data to an external source for safe keeping. Enabling the Firefox sync is another very useful option.

11. undisputedking

surely gonna follow ur instruction now on. thanks again.:):)(y)(y)(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice