Default directory for OE attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

Although there was already a thread on this forum (from "Bering") asking if there was a way to change the default directory for Outlook Express e-mail attachments from My Documents to something else, no response provided an answer. I'm new to OE, but every other MS program has a way to change the default directory for files, etc., but I can find nothing in the Options for OE to do this.

Is it hidden somewhere, or is it just not possible to do in this rather poorly designed program?

Don
At this time there is no way to change the default directory for attachments. OE5 sends to my documents.
Unfortunatly most of us keep our documents file orderly and IE just plops the file directly under documents. I am not sure if this was addressed in OE6. There is no registry hack that I know of that could change this since I believe it is hard coded in the exe
program.

Hey Randy
Thanks for the tip! Everywhere I looked came up up with no way Dave!
I sure will give it a try.
Dave

DKTaber

Originally posted by RandyG
It's actually a limitation that can be corrected by a Registry fix, I believe.

How to Change the Default "Save As" Location in Internet Explorer

This is the registry fix for changing the default folder in IE, Outlook 98, and Outlook 2000. I do not see why it wouldn't also do it for OE.

I have not tried it so let us know if it solves the problem.
Randy: Thanks for the response. I didn't make myself clear in the original question. I want to change the folder for MAKING, not SAVING attachments. When I click the attachments button, the folder that pops up is My Documents. In MS Office, you can (e.g.)change your options to open the folder of your choice when you click "Open Office Document". I would like to do the same with OE6 (which is what I'm using). It's true that most of the attachments I would SAVE would also be saved in this different folder, so maybe I'll try changing the Registry, and see if doing so changes the folder for SELECTING AND SAVING attachments changes to the same thing. Will let you know if it works.

Randy
Gave it a try and OE remained the same. I had to go to current user key since we use user profiles.
Dave

DKTaber

Originally posted by davey7549
Randy
Gave it a try and OE remained the same. I had to go to current user key since we use user profiles.
Dave
By "OE remained the same", do you mean it still goes to My Documents when you go to add an attachment? In other words, there's no way to change it?

Good morning everyone

I just stumbled in... haven't even had my coffee yet & read this. I always "save as" ... no matter where I am ... to navigate whatever to whereever & have never had a problem with defaults .

Just my 2 cents...lol

Now I can't buy coffee...lol

have a good day everyone

Savvy :)

DKTaber

Originally posted by SavvyLady
I always "save as" ... no matter where I am ... to navigate whatever to whereever & have never had a problem with defaults.
Good morning, Savvy. Let me reiterate what I'm asking. It's not where I SAVE attachments, it's where I GET the files to attach. When I click the "attach" button, it automatically goes to My Documents. I keep almost nothing in My Documents. I want it to go to Clients. I can find no option in OE6 that lets me change it, and apparently (per Randy) changing the default folder for saves in IE does NOT change it for OE. Microsoft software strikes again. Geez I wish we had a viable alternative to MS!

While I have you, I just attempted to send a message that contained two pretty large pictures (JPEG) totalling about 36MB in size. I know that's a lot, but I was shocked to see that the message was uploading slower than a snail after I clicked Send. I recently switched to broadband (cable) and everything moves like lightning. I can download 36MB files in about 3 minutes. Why would uploading the same size file take many, many minutes (don't know how many 'cause I stopped the send)? Is it due to something in OE, because it can't be due to my cable connection?

ok... I see what ya mean... but don't you have a button that will browse and find the directory you want to attach from? Unless its just a matter of you want to be able to click once or twice & be finished....
as for your uploads & your download speeds... everyones computer is different & so is cable connections... I'd call my ISP & ask them to refer you to one of their engineers who can help you tweak it. There is also connection tweakers online.

Depends on what you seek...

Others may join here too . See what they have to say

Savvy : )

PS ... also can't you drag & drop??

DKTaber

Originally posted by SavvyLady
ok... I see what ya mean... but don't you have a button that will browse and find the directory you want to attach from? Unless its just a matter of you want to be able to click once or twice & be finished....
as for your uploads & your download speeds... everyones computer is different & so is cable connections... I'd call my ISP & ask them to refer you to one of their engineers who can help you tweak it. There is also connection tweakers online.

PS ... also can't you drag & drop??
It's a case of not wanting to have to browse to the directory I want, because the one I want is NEVER My Documents. I'm used to Word and Excel allowing you to set your default folder for files, so I want to do the same with OE.

I will as Comcast about the message speed, but I think it's built into OE.

I can download 36MB files in about 3 minutes. Why would uploading the same size file take many, many minutes (don't know how many 'cause I stopped the send)? Is it due to something in OE, because it can't be due to my cable connection?
upload speed is usually capped far lower than download speed - and it's done by the cable provider, not the program - fcc may even have their hands in it - my dl/ul speeds is usually in the 3500/280 neighborhood - happy with those

and some servers have caps on the upload - i can't u/l more than about 3Mb without getting an error - wouldn't even try 36Mb !

for more, try this site - http://www.dslreports.com/
- great tools and info
- you can probably find your cable provider (is there more than one to cover the far reaches of delaware LOL) and see what their published speeds are
- try the tweaks page and speed tests
- test your speed , then add it to the database, you'll see comparison speeds from others in your zip or cable provider

and i haven't delved into the attachment question - i find it annoying the MS products seem to assume everyone keeps everything in my docs - i don't even use the folder!!!
- will add it to the list tho

DKTaber

JB: I already checked one speed site, and it checks out fine. I subsequently called Comcast tech support, and they informed me that the file (36MB) would NEVER go, because they have a limit of 4MB on attached files. I wish they didn't, but it's 33% better than AOL's 3MB limit, so at least I gained ground!

Thanks anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online