1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default Folder in Office XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bobbi, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Hi All

I got an annoying problem that I've been unable to resolve...so of course I come to this group for help! :D

I have a user using Windows XP/Office XP

I have her default file locations set to the network drive. When ever she reboots her PC the default file location resets to My Documents on the hard drive.

If I go to Tools/Options/File Locations the path is still set to the network drive. I checked the registry and the entry is pointing to the network drive.But when she clicks on the Open folder or does File/Open it opens up My Documents.

Once you click the down arrow and select the network folder it stays there until the PC is rebooted and then it does it again.

It's just an annoyance more than anything. I've looked for help on this but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for your help! (y)

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Likely problem: Whoever is changing the file location does not have rights to the registry.

You can do a regedit and change it here:
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\10.0\word\options

See the DOC-PATH key.

3. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Thanks...but I thought of that.

As I said in my initial post, the path under options/file locations stays pointing to the network drive and the registry entry does reflect that it's to use the network drive.

The only place that doesn't seem to know it's using the network drive is the File/Open command, and only after a reboot.

I've rebooted and before I touch anything I've gone right to the registry and checked the path and it's correct. I then open Word and go immediately to the File Location tab and it's set right. Close that, click file/open and it goes to My Documents.

It just doesn't make sense.

Plus...I had given the user admin rights intially thinking that might be the problem...but it wasn't.

Thanks for advice though...!

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No code in the user's normal.dot is there? Where's the normal.dot file?

(We'll likely get to the bottom of it! Hang in there...)

5. bobbi

bobbi Thread Starter

Well...I don't know about that for sure. There shouldn't be any code in the normal.dot. It was a standard Office install and then a standard upgrade to XP. But then, stranger things have happened. :p

I have to go over there shortly, so I'll check.

Thanks for the idea....

I really hate these annoying little problems that have no rhyme or reason!!:mad:

Bobbi

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Just rename normal.dot to abnormal.dot (while Word is closed) and relaunch it.

You could also check their startup folder for anything that might be launching.

Complete Word troubleshooting: www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm

I wrote it all, so just ask anything you like.

7. RandyG

RandyG

A handy little work-around that has nothing to do with solving the problem at hand is to change the My Documents pointer to the Network drive.

If you right-click the My Documents folder and select Properties, you can Browse to the folder on the network drive that you want to set it to. When the Office users opens a file, or saves, it will default to My Documents, whioch is now opening the new folder.

This works on Win98, 2k, and XP.

Now, if you wanna solve the problem, Dreamboat will sort you out!;):D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice