1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default Folder View

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rpseeley, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

I've had this frustration for a long time. I sure hope somebody can answer this question. I know how setting the default folders view in Windows Explorer is supposed to work. I've followed the instructions until I'm blue in the face. The problem is that it doesn't work. It sets all the views the same ok, but what I want is the Details view in all my folders, but something somewhere is insisting that I want the Icons view. Arghh! It's driving me nuts. I reeeeeally don't want my folders opening in Icons view. I need to see the details of my files, always. I can set 'remember each folders view settings' and go through all 225,627 of my folders (ok, that's a gross exaggeration) and individually set each folder to Details, but what a coplete waste of time when the system is supposed to do that for me, so I leave that unset and keep hoping that by some miricle I'll find something somewhere in a hidden tweak that actual WORKS. But so far to date I just keep getting ICONS! Grrrr! I did a search in this forum for 'default folder view' but came up with nothing but a bunch of unrelated questions. Hard to believe that nobody has ever had this problem but me, but oh well. I sure hope some kind knowledable soul out there will tell me how to set my folder views to Details once and for all and lock them in place. Thanks very much.

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Apply the following regedit and try again.

#2 Increase folder view size limit to 8000

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

3. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. I did that already several weeks ago. Trying to overrun the limit apparently wasn't the problem. Thanks though. I appreciate it.
    Bob

4. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

Hmm. From CMD I did a dir /s *. and was shocked by the results. It says I have 23,495 directories. That seems impossible to me, but I guess it must be true. That would certainly explain why individual folder views wouldn't be remembered, but I really don't care about that. What I want is for ALL the folders to come up with details. Is that too many directories for WinXP to handle the task of displaying details? How about List? I'd be satisfied with that I guess. I'm just sick and tired of seeing trucated file names associated with the Icons view. Any comments please.

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

What about this?

XP forgets your folder view settings?

23,495 does seem high, I only have 4448. If you do a lot of installing and uninstalling programs, the directories are still probably lying around. You might want to do a little cleaning up and delete those directories.

6. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

Well, I don't really believe that figure. I think it's something about the way that NT counts directories. I'm sure I've got lots of old directories full of stuff that isn't used anymore, but I don't really know how to be sure. If I delete the wrong directories I'd be in big trouble because this computer didn't come with a CD and the last time I had to a system reinstall it took me forever and nine weeks to get it back close to what a had previously. I'll do most anything to keep from going through that process again. Arghh! Isn't there a program that can go through the files on my computer and make a determination whether they're still used or not? Cleanup says there's no more temporary files, but I know that's not true, unless all those .tmp files are still used for something and Windows is smart enough to not report them (which I seriously doubt but aren't confident enough to go and delete them). Yeah, I'm paranoid, it's true, but I really don't have the time to rebuild my WinXP configuration all over one more time. Maybe I'll just have to live with manually switching to Details view every time, but I certainly don't like it.

7. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

My figure, not yours.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice