Default gateway dissapeared, internet explorer shows "page can not be displayed"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LewisSellers

Hi Guys,

I let my mate borrow my server yesterday, and I got the internet up and running for him fine, He's installed a few programs since then. They include:

Adobe Photoshop
Winrar
MSN Live Messenger

and he left the computer on over night and restarted it this morning, and the default gateway has disspaeared and all he seems to get when going onto internet explorer is a "Page can not be displayed" error message.

I tried having a look at it, going in to Start > run > cmd > ipconfig

and it showed his IP and subnet mask, but the default gateway did not appear.

I couldn't figure out how to get it back.

Can you guys help at all ??

Thanks in advance :p

Lewis Sellers

Perhaps the router is down? The default gateway is the machine to which any data that is destined to leave your LAN gets sent to. (Unless you add more custom settings, of course.) Which is basically your router.

Its disappearance is interesting, but perhaps it is down. If you know its IP address, try pinging it. (Open command prompt and ping ip.add.re.ss) A timeout will explain the problem.

To manually set the default gateway (and other stuff if you want), right click on the connection, select 'Properties', Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and hit 'Properties'.

Good luck...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
--- or ---
For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

LewisSellers

Hi,

Well he did a system restore and it fixed the problem, but its windows xp pro and for some reason it doesn't have the TCP/IP thing, because thats what I went to look for.

Very strange...............

Cheers

Lewis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online