1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default Gateway is Not Available

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vAero, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vAero

vAero Thread Starter

I have my desktop using a TP-Link WN722N USB wireless adapter to connect to my modem router. I get to browse for about a minute before I get dropped. Windows Network Diagnostics tells me that the problem is that the Default Gateway is not found, and then restarts the Wireless adapter, reconnects, then the cycle of browsing for a minute and disconnecting continues. None of my other computers that are wireless are facing this issue. I have the latest drivers for the wireless adapter. I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. This is the ipconfig /all when it is connected to the internet.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Huang
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : att.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : att.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-70-02-25-D1-3A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8860:9889:2693:86da%22(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.77(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:35:43 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:35:43 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 358903810
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-D5-DE-48-70-71-BC-99-A9-04
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.att.net:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : att.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:30b7:23e5:3f57:feb2(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30b7:23e5:3f57:feb2%12(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Model of the modem router is NVG510 from Motorola. ISP is ATT.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would update the driver again, but download the driver and install - dont just use the update option

also try

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    I would goto device manager and right click on the adapter and uninstall/remove and then restart the PC and let windows re-detect the hardware and reinstall the driver
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

lets see an xirrus screen shot - in case its interference - but i would also expect to effect the other wireless connected PCs

do you have any devices connected by cable and do they have an issue at all ?

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

3. vAero

vAero Thread Starter

Uninstalled driver then reinstalled it, didn't do anything. When I connect any of my laptops to the modem router via Ethernet, internet is fine as usual. The modem is only like two rooms away from the desktop, so I don't think interference is really an issue...

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How can you not think interference is an issue with two overwhelmingly strong networks on the same channel? :eek:

There was a reason Wayne said to download the latest driver [from TP-LINK's web site] and install it.

5. vAero

vAero Thread Starter

Bit of a miscommunication on my part, I uninstalled the driver then reinstalled the driver from TP-Link's website. I think it's not an interference issue because all my other computers work perfectly fine, and I even plugged the same wireless adapter into another desktop computer running Windows 7. Here is a screen from Xirrus on that computer. There are a hell of a lot more green bars, and the working computer is one room over from the one that doesn't work. Anyways, I tried shifting channels to an unused channel like 4, and it still doesn't work. Advice?

Edit: Not sure if it's anything, but the working computer's IP Address is the same as the nonworking ones. Is that supposed to happen?

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the clarification on the driver, and the additional info.

I once had a USB wireless adapter that would lose power and then regain it on my desktop but work fine on some computers.

Check to make sure that is not happening. Whether it is or not try the adapter on different USB ports. Mine worked significantly better (but still not OK) on the front ports than on the back ones.

Some adapters are more sensitive than others to wireless interference, but since you tested it with another computer I think that should not be the issue.

7. vAero

vAero Thread Starter

That didn't seem to be the problem.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that we are into "grasping at straws" territory now. :(

A (very) few people have had a wireless mouse or keyboard interfere with the Wi-Fi connection, and had to keep the radio that communicates with the mouse/keyboard farther away from the wireless adapter.

Have you tried both with and without the external antenna?

If you have a short USB extension cable try separating the adapter from the computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice