1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default gateway - your gateway appears to be offline

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nodnil, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nodnil

nodnil Thread Starter

Hi. How is everyone? I am having trouble with my wireless connection. I am using a D-link wireless card and a D-link modem/router. My wireless internet connection drops out about every hour, I refresh my browser, press reconnect to MSN Messenger and it is all good again. But every so often I drops out and won't reconnect, I need to restart the computer to get it connected again. When it does this, I press troubleshoot on messenger and it gives a message " Default gateway - your gateway appears to be offline ". Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks for your replies.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does this happen with a wired connection?

3. nodnil

nodnil Thread Starter

No it doesn't lose connection on the wired one. I have also tried a Netgear Wireless card in the past and the gateway would still go offline at times.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To manage the connection are you using Windows built wireless utility (client), D-Link's or some other one? And are you sure that no other one is running?

5. nodnil

nodnil Thread Starter

I am using Windows built in wireless client. No other ones are running either as far as I know. It opens up in the windows one default and I can't find anywhere a D-link wireless utility or any other for that matter.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Consider wireless interference, especially from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another network on the same or close channel.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!