Default Settings for 'Choose File To Upload' Window, Window displays 'Details' vs 'Th

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Iceman107

Whenever I add an attachment to my emails, and even here on your website when I uploaded the attached pics, the 'Choose to Upload' pop-up window containing (in this case) my pics ALWAYS (but never used to) opens in the Details mode instead of Thumbnails where I can actually view the pics to be attached prior to attaching them.
I would like the default setting for this occurrence to obviously be in the Thumbnails mode.

In a related issue I would also like to be able to load more than one pic at a time when attaching pics to emails, etc...
Is there such a setting?

Thanks for the assistance

Attachments

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
AFAIK, the default view for dialogs on XP is set in the program and can't be changed.

For multiple selections, you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key when selecting the files.

Iceman107

Thanks for the effort Throoper but you are wrong on both counts.

I used to be able to see the thumbnail view AND the CNTRL key method does NOT work in attaching to emails...at least not for me.

Anyone else?

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Are you sure that if you open these same folders in Windoews Explorer thdy will be in the thumbnail mode?

All Windows compliant programs will use the setting that is set in Windows Explorer.

throoper

Thanks for the effort Throoper but you are wrong on both counts.

I used to be able to see the thumbnail view AND the CNTRL key method does NOT work in attaching to emails...at least not for me.

Anyone else?
What folder are you opening (or used to open) in the dialog window? My Pictures is the only one I know of that will default to Thumbnails in a common dialog.
What mail program are you using?

Iceman107

Well Throoper, I think you're on to something.
I use 2 email programs, Yahoo Mail and My Way.com. I just checked both and in the My Way program it opens to Thumbnail view whereas Yahoo mail does not. Might I then assume it is a Yahoo Mail setting that is awry?

throoper

Iceman107: I know you don't believe me when I say the default view in common dialogs is set in the program, but it is. The exceptions are the My Pictures and My Videos folders which default to thumbnails.
But, it can be changed with a third party program.
If you just want a simple one that will change all common dialogs to default to what you set, this one seems decent.
http://speak.geek.nz/code/openwide

Edit: I want to mention I've tried it out on my xp machine and it does the job quite well.

Iceman107

Thanks Tulsa but the article was just a scam for third party software and services.

Throoper, I believe what you're saying as it applies to XP. I'm saying that my issue seems to be a Yahoo Mail problem as I used to be able to have the 'Choose File To Upload' window show thumbnails instead of Details. Whatever happened recently to change that, I don't know!?

throoper

It shouldn't be Yahoo. It's simply calling the common dialog (in this case the file picker) that's on your computer.
I'm still not clear on the location of the folder you're calling. Is it My Pictures or a subfolder of My Pictures?

throoper

I may have just figured out why you can't multi-select by holding the Ctrl key. Are you using the Yahoo basic mail or the full featured?

First Name
Rosie
Thanks Tulsa but the article was just a scam for third party software and services.

I don't know where you saw anything in that article like you mention. The link I used was NOT for anything other than instructions. I certainly would never point someone to that sort of scam.

Throoper is on the right track so stick with him and you'll get a solution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online