1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default Settings for 'Choose File To Upload' Window, Window displays 'Details' vs 'Th

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Iceman107, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iceman107

Iceman107 Thread Starter

Whenever I add an attachment to my emails, and even here on your website when I uploaded the attached pics, the 'Choose to Upload' pop-up window containing (in this case) my pics ALWAYS (but never used to) opens in the Details mode instead of Thumbnails where I can actually view the pics to be attached prior to attaching them.
    I would like the default setting for this occurrence to obviously be in the Thumbnails mode.

In a related issue I would also like to be able to load more than one pic at a time when attaching pics to emails, etc...
    Is there such a setting?

Thanks for the assistance

Attached Files:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

AFAIK, the default view for dialogs on XP is set in the program and can't be changed.

For multiple selections, you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key when selecting the files.

3. Iceman107

Iceman107 Thread Starter

Thanks for the effort Throoper but you are wrong on both counts.

I used to be able to see the thumbnail view AND the CNTRL key method does NOT work in attaching to emails...at least not for me.

Anyone else?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure that if you open these same folders in Windoews Explorer thdy will be in the thumbnail mode?

All Windows compliant programs will use the setting that is set in Windows Explorer.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

What folder are you opening (or used to open) in the dialog window? My Pictures is the only one I know of that will default to Thumbnails in a common dialog.
    What mail program are you using?

6. Iceman107

Iceman107 Thread Starter

Well Throoper, I think you're on to something.
    I use 2 email programs, Yahoo Mail and My Way.com. I just checked both and in the My Way program it opens to Thumbnail view whereas Yahoo mail does not. Might I then assume it is a Yahoo Mail setting that is awry?

7. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
  8. Iceman107

Iceman107 Thread Starter

Thanks Tulsa, I'm on it.:)

9. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    Hope it helps. Also found this Yahoo Mail page that could help. Note what it mentions about Adobe Flash.

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Iceman107: I know you don't believe me when I say the default view in common dialogs is set in the program, but it is. The exceptions are the My Pictures and My Videos folders which default to thumbnails.
    But, it can be changed with a third party program.
    If you just want a simple one that will change all common dialogs to default to what you set, this one seems decent.
    http://speak.geek.nz/code/openwide

Edit: I want to mention I've tried it out on my xp machine and it does the job quite well.

11. Iceman107

Iceman107 Thread Starter

Thanks Tulsa but the article was just a scam for third party software and services.

Throoper, I believe what you're saying as it applies to XP. I'm saying that my issue seems to be a Yahoo Mail problem as I used to be able to have the 'Choose File To Upload' window show thumbnails instead of Details. Whatever happened recently to change that, I don't know!?

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It shouldn't be Yahoo. It's simply calling the common dialog (in this case the file picker) that's on your computer.
    I'm still not clear on the location of the folder you're calling. Is it My Pictures or a subfolder of My Pictures?

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I may have just figured out why you can't multi-select by holding the Ctrl key. Are you using the Yahoo basic mail or the full featured?

14. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice