1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default Window Fonts

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rpolsdorfer, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpolsdorfer

rpolsdorfer Thread Starter

Default Windows Fonts
    After reinstalling 98SE I was goofing with fonts and managed to end up with several miniscule ones in the Windows boxes. These are not fonts that I can change using CONTROL PANEL/DISPLAY. They are fonts that appear in warning and information boxes that many programs pop up. Two of them are the fonts used in the DISPLAY PROPERTIES/APPEARANCE WINDOW -- The font used for the tabs at the top, the SAVE AS, DELETE, OK and CANCEL buttons in the lower panel, and the font used for the scroll down lists under SCHEME, ITEM and FONT. They are in both the gray and white areas of these boxes (using the default Windows desktop appearance).
    I suspect the settings are to be found somewhere in the WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI files, but I can't locate them.
    Many thanks, Ricker

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Why not try this.

Start>shutdown. Restart Ms-dos.
    Type scanreg/restore at the prompt> hit enter> Select an older copy of the registry and reboot

3. rpolsdorfer

Many thanks. I did that, but my selection of old registries did not go back far enough to corrent the font fault. There must be a way to edit default fonts in the registry. How?
    Ricker

4. Cake4All

Cake4All

Microsoft's answer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234749

I hope this helps

Step 1: Export and Remove the Fonts Registry Key
    1. Quit all running programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    4. In Registry Editor, expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fonts
    5. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
    6. In the Export Registry File dialog box, type C:\FontKey in the File name box, and then click Save.
    7. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

You receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this key?
    8. Click Yes.

The Fonts registry subkey is removed.
    9. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Step 2: Create a Temporary Fonts Folder
    1. Start Windows Explorer.
    2. Navigate to the C:\Windows folder.
    3. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
    4. In the New Folder name box, type NewFonts, and then press ENTER.
    5. Quit Windows Explorer.

Step 3: Extract the Original Windows Fonts to the Temporary Folder

Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)

a. Insert the Windows 98 compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    b. Click Start, and then click Run.
    c. In the Open box, type command, and then click OK.
    d. At the command prompt, type Extract /a /e drive:\Win98\Win98_22.cab *.ttf /l C:\Windows\NewFonts (where drive is the drive letter of your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive), and then press ENTER.

For example:
    Extract /a /e D:\Win98\Win98_22.cab *.ttf /l C:\Windows\NewFonts <ENTER>
    The font files are extracted.

NOTE: In the preceding command, l is a lowercase L.
    e. Type Extract /a /e drive:\Win98\Win98_22.cab *.fon /l C:\Windows\NewFonts, and the press ENTER.

The font files are extracted.
    f. Type Extract /a /e drive:\Win98\Win98_22.cab Desktop.ini /l C:\Windows\NewFonts, and the press ENTER.

The Desktop.ini file is extracted.
    g. Type Exit.

You return to Windows.

5. rpolsdorfer

Many thanks. I did all that and things got even worse. Then I figured out that I needed another step: I had to recreate the Fonts entry in the registry. Then everything returned to normal, I think.
    I would still like to know how to change the individual Windows default fonts that aren't accessible from the Display icon in the Control panel.
    Best Regards, Ricker

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice