1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Default worksheet to open in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rajm, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rajm

Rajm Thread Starter

Hi all,

Can anybody help to solve my problem. In Excel (MS office XP), when I open an excel file i.e. abcd.xls, a particular worksheet say - Index should open by default. Even though I go to any sheet, modify it and save it when I open this xls file next time, my default worksheet i.e. Index should open - not the one which I modified last time.

2. mrwendal

mrwendal

I'm not sure why this is happening but one thing you can try is this.

Open your w/book. Press Alt+F11 to open the vb editor.

Go to View->Project Explorer. A list should appear, one of the entries will possibly say something like VBAProject followed by the name of your spreadsheet.

In the Microsoft Excel objects folder under this, double click the 'ThisWorkbook' icon.

A new pane should open on the right-hand side.
    Copy and paste the following

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Worksheets("yoursheetname").Activate
    End Sub

(change yoursheetname to the name of the sheet you want excel to open automatically each time).

Close the vb window and then save and close your excel spreadsheet

Hope this helps.

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

My EXCEL 2000 has always opened as you say - at the last cell where you were when you saved. I have always made a habit of going back to A1 on my first TAB before saving the last time. Just as I will always go back to a nice starting cell before closing a macro.

mrwendal's VB suggestion seems to work fine. But that will apparently be for THAT worrkbook only. Perhaps there is something out there that will include this as a function of EXCEL ?

- Castleheart

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/157203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice