1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defaulting alternative file manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by テツジン, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. テツジン

テツジン Thread Starter

I've found a beatifully simple new file manager to use as an alternative to explorer.exe as a step beyond just using an alternative shell.
    But, the program is so beautifully simple, it comes not as an install, but a zip. It does not alter any registry files; in fact, the author suggests that you can keep it on a pen drive, and use it anywhere.
    I know some alternative FM's install and default themselves as the new FM, but this one does not. Is there a way to do it by hand?

2. zmaster

zmaster

i would assume you would unzip the file using winzip/winrar to the desktop or any chose folder and run the file that you unzip. You didn't say what the program was...?

3. テツジン

テツジン Thread Starter

sorry about not mentioning the name. didn't want to sound like an advertiser. the utility is called "a43". it's freeware, and i think it's wonderful.

anyway, i can install and run it just fine. well, like i said, there's nothing to install, only unzip.

but the question still remains: how do i set a43 as my default file manager?

4. zmaster

zmaster

by default, how do you mean? the only way to getting to windows explorer is by running a shortcut (ie through start-->programs) or by key strokes that have been assigned to it. how do you see windows explorer as being the default?

5. テツジン

テツジン Thread Starter

if i type "c:\" into a "run" box, it'll bring up explorer.exe with "c:\" in it. i want to put a stop to this. i want a43 to come up with "c:\" instead. any idea how?

6. zmaster

zmaster

what windows are you running? you used to be able to right click on the a43 file and choose options. Then within there you used to be able to set up a short cut key for that program. For example. windows explorer has a short cut key. you press the windows button (the one between Ctrl and Alt on the left hand side) + e. I am running xp now and i can't seem to find that option.

Another option is: Whats the location on your hard drive where a43 is unzipped? ie c:\program files\a43.exe

7. テツジン

テツジン Thread Starter

no, i'm not looking to create a shortcut or hotkey; i already know how to do all that.
    i'm looking to default the File Manager to A43.exe instead of C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe on my computer. it's windows xp, and i've already looked through all the literature my own system provides; thought i might try this instead.

the best i can come up with is a shortcut box on my GeoTasks bar; thanks anyway.

8. zmaster

zmaster

you said you normally go. start -->run then type in c:\ well how about doing this. start --> run --> c:\a42.exe Alls you have to do is put a42.exe within the c:\ directory.

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

If anybody would know how to do this, the author should.

A43 Support/Feedback
    For support/feedback contact [email protected]. NOTE: You must include A43 in the subject line or the message will not be read.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice