1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defining Your DNS in Command Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kz121, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kz121

kz121 Thread Starter

This question is to anyone who is familiar with using Command Lines under Win 2k...

I need to know if it is possible to define your Dynamic Names Server Address(s) from the DOS Shell... I have a business laptop which keeps getting it's DNS settings screwed up and a simple flush & register doesn't restore surf-ability. Unfortunately, I only have USER level rights and therefore can not define the DNS(s) to use through the GUI interface (TCP/IP settings).

Since I know it is possible to flush and re-register the names in the machine from the command window I was hoping that someone might know an alternate way to assign the DNS through the command window...

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks for reading...

Chris

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

or

IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

You can see what is in the DNS cache with:

IPCONFIG /DISPLAYDNS

Finally, what exactly are the symptoms, and what do you get when you do an:

IPCONFIG /ALL

3. kz121

kz121 Thread Starter

The laptop in question is one which is primarily designed to connect to an office LAN however due to my particular responsibilities within my organization it is necessary for me to have remote access to information behind my company's firewall.
    For this purpose they provide a VPN client which allows both dial-up (never actually used) and broadband access methods (existing connection).

I regularly need to connect (for business purposes - updating e-mail in real-time & perform time sensitive inventory valuations + network troubleshooting) wirelessly but I am limited in method. I utilize a packet data network which acts similarly to a broadband connection though only providing 19kbps and I utilize my vpn client as if I was connected to a private LAN (like the one in my home which I use at the begining and end of my work day) -(compression schemes which would ordinarily provide 56k can not be used with the VPN client hence limiting bandwidth).

Under both of the latter conditions I must perform both an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS & IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS due to some issues with resolving DNS once connected thanks to an unacknowledged bug with the VPN client software that my organization uses.

I actually wrote a short batch file to perform the flush and re-register which when using the VPN client works fine, however I can not resolve DNS from my home network without connecting via the VPN client software. After asking my IT department about it and them re-installing some software it'll work for a short time then it'll simply stop and from that point on my machine will not resolve DNS.

After performing an IPCONFIG /ALL i noted that the DNS names used are 10. addresses which indicates to me phone.com and company specific DNS resolution addresses. What I still don't understand is why after a flush and register while on my home network it doesn't update to what is registered to my router.
    I know that this can usually be addressed via TCP/IP however thanks to user only access this is not accessible to me.

Bringing this full circle, I'm trying to figure out a way to manually over-ride the exisiting DNS server addresses with usable ones. Perhaps either by CMD prompt instruction or if not registery editting.

Perhaps it should be noted that when I connect via the wireless packet data network I do not need to be VPN'd in to surf, only when I'm on my home network do I have an issue, however each time I change connection type I must re-run my flush & re-register bat file.

I hope this clarifies the issue a bit...

Perhaps I should mention that this particular machine uses DHCP and my home network is set up for it.

Thanks for replying to my inquery... I look forward to any other suggestions or thought you or anyone else may have...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice