1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defrag and scandisk problems in win98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by enviroman50, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enviroman50

enviroman50 Thread Starter

I have a win98SE system with 384mgb ram and 120gb wd harddrive. When I try to defrag or run scandisk I get error messages that say I don't have enough memory to run the programs. I have tried ctrl-alt delete and closed all unnecessary running programs without help. Does anyone have any answers for this problem?

2. dai

dai

try it from safe mode

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The error is caused by your cluster size being invalid in relation to the partition size.

For a 120GB drive, the cluster size should be 32KB.

(open a DOS window and enter CHKDSK. The xx,xxx in each allocation unit, is the cluster size)

If you "ghosted" this drive from a smaller one, this is one way that the smaller clusters came to be.

Options are to resize them using a program like Partition Magic or redoing the partition(s).

If this is a relatively new drive and easy to rebuild, I would recommend the latter. And, if you do, then partition the drive into smaller partitions. If you were to ever come close to filling the 120GB drive, defrag would never finish in our life time!!

It also allows you to built a "system" only partition, a "scratch" partition (for IE temp files and other temp files), one for large files such as MP3s, graphics (these slow down a defrag due to their size), one for your "data" files (ie" the ones needing backing up), etc.

If you like this idea, create a new post asking for recommendations.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice