Defrag froze at 1%

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lumpage

Hi, I hope someone can help......My XP goes to 1% and will not move on. The harddrive lite is on but it will not go. What is up??? I have tried this in the safe mode and tried other defrag programs. Is there a registry fix or another type of fix for this poblem. THANKS

How long have you waited before determining that it is not working?

It may take several minutes depending how bad your drive is fragmented and how large it is.

I've defrag mine on a monthly basis & it takes approximately 90 minutes for the entire process. 160gb with 2.2 processor.

PATIENCE.......... :rolleyes:

try this click on start run type cmd then type CHKDSK /R /F and reboot the system

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Try deleting the contents of the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and then run defrag to see if that makes a difference.

You might want to clean up the drive a little first with CCLeaner.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Good news. What was it that made the difference?

I would suggest that you try the 30 day Evaluation copy of Diskeeper 9 Professional as it comes with Frag-Shield, then if you are running on NTFS you can defrag the paging file and Master File Table(s) and use Frag-Shield to see if they are the right size.

Another good freeware program is Eraser 5·7 which allows you to erase sensitive files irrecoverably and will also clean up the free space on the drive removing recoverable deleted data.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts