1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defrag has broken my computer :(

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ziggyzak3, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

System: i5 3230 2.6ghz. Intel HD 4000. 4gb ram. Windows 7. 1tb hdd. 64 bit

Problem: my computer was running fine but I decided to run a defrag to possibly clear up some stuff and optimise my system. I used defraggler free version and updated it via the normal website proceeded to a 14 hour full defrag from 19% fragmentation. After rebooting my computer has slowed down completely. My applications dont run well and everything freezes constantly. Ive uninstalled defraggler. Ive run malware, virus and spyware scans which have all come up clean. Ive run repair my computer from F8 startup. Ive done pretty much every remedy I can think of. Im confused because prior to the defrag my computer was running perfectly so I dont know what the issue is.

Please haaalp :'((

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Was the defraggler - the Piriform defraggler

From where did you download it - or was it already on the system

I do not use defraggler relying on the included Windows defrag

It was not efficient on XP or Vista, but is OK on 7 and very good on 8 and 8.1

That said, I do not think it is defraggler itself that has caused the problems, unless you have used it in advanced mode and set the way of it working yourself

DO you use any other third party system maintenance tools or anything of the make it go faster type of programs

What do you mean please by
    clear up what ?

Is the 1TB drive partitioned, other than those created by the install of 7 and if so how please

3. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

Yes it is the piriform defraggler. i downloaded it from file hippo as I always have and it is one of the reccomended sites to Download it from by piriform. I do not use it in advanced mode and do not use any third party maintenance software. When I said to clear up some stuff I simply meant just to defrag my system as I haven't done so in a few months now I just wanted to possibly improve ny systems performance though it was working fine as I said prior to defragging. Also my harddrive is not partitioned

4. Macboatmaster

Well with a ITB drive where there is not a separate partition for the OS eg lettered C and then one for your programs for instance lettered E (optical drive D) and then one for data, any defrag is going to place a tremendous strain on the drive, as of course each file fragment that defrag determines needs to be moved is copied and written to another part of the drive

Were it to be me, I would ascertain the make of drive Seatools, Western Digital etc. and I would run the Seatools or WD drive check in dos, booting from a dos CD
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

you will have to select the drive from the WD or Seatools site or here
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If it passes the short test, I would be inclined to run the log test, although it will be long

If that is OK, and again appreciating it is going to be a long job I would run a chkdsk /f from an advanced cmd prompt and then either watch the results or check them in event viewer

chkdsk
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

event viewer
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

note the log is in windows logs, application log under source wininit

So you follow the link guide and on the find box, you type
    wininit

If that is not indicative of file errors being repaired, other than cleaning up unused entries I would proceed to a system file check

that is an advanced cmd prompt again and type

sfc /scannow

See what that reports
    If it reports all in order, no violations found exit out.

If it reports errors could not be repaired REBOOT
    run it again
    if still errors#
    REBOOT
    run it again

If it has not fixed on third run it is not going to, but the errors in the system files would have to be really extensive to cause the problem you have

Please post results

5. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

Do you have enough free space on your HDD, at least 20%? What does Win 7's own defrag say when you hit 'Analyze disk'? Have you tried running Win 7 defrag?

May as well give this a go.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

6. Macboatmaster

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7

Indeed as I recommended chkdsk

My recommend is as I said, the drive manufacturers disk check, If it fails that then we can more or less be certain the drive is bad.
    If it passes that then windows chkdsk will check it for file errors

7. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

Id also like to say ive gotten a kernel data inpage error bsod, ive run chkdsk and windows memory diagnostics tool multiple times. Both coming up clear. Ill run the manufacturer defragmenter though downloading it will be difficult as the computer is currently running unbelievably slow constantly freezing and such

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

The hard drive is probably bad. When you defragged, you moved files from good sectors to bad ones.

9. Macboatmaster

You need to follow the advice I gave you in post 4
    the manufacturers utility is NOT a defrag it is a drive check

when you say you have run chkdsk several times which chkdsk, as chkdsk cmd on its own is read only and unreliable
    You need to run the chkdsk /f

AFTER the manufacturers disk check - if it passes that long test.

Download it to another computer, make the bootable disc and then run it on this one

10. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

Apologies I meant disk check

11. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Can you please bear in mind that all I have to work with is what you tell me
    Which chkdsk have you run

it is better if you could read my post and answer the questions

12. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

Im sorry guys but I think im gunna give up on this machine. I really appreciate.all your help and under normal circumstances im sure they would work from any logical point of view there is nothimg wrong with my machine. Defragmentation shouldn't have caused my machine to die but somehow it has and after doing everything you have all told me to do nothing is flagging any issues. At least if it were flagging something a solution could be made but thats not the case. And unfortunately I dont have access to another computer to do some of the other steps you recommended though I cannot imagine any different outcome will be met. And even still. The computer is just too unusable to do any proper solution making with it being so incredibly slow and freezing crashing and the odd bsod.

13. ziggyzak3

ziggyzak3 Thread Starter

Hell. Ive been making all these posts off my phone if not to emphasise that point

14. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Obviously the decision is yours
    However the booting of the computer from the dos CD will not present the same problems as trying to use the hard drive by booting and loading windows

If you cannot get access to another computer - friend, acquaintance, neighbour to make the CD then there is really no way forward

If the HDD is failing then the strain of the defrag could well have caused more problems, as I have explained.
    It is not the defrag itself that has caused the problems, it may well be the state of the drive, BEING defragged that has

Good luck with it

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!