1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag in Safe mode?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jim Wulf, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim Wulf

Jim Wulf Thread Starter

Is it better and faster to defrag in safe mode so you don't have to do things like close the screensaver and desktop wallpaper and temporarily deactivate the anti-virus program, etc..?

Another question: If you install another hard drive, ex.. drive D:, can it be used only for programs and file storage without an operating system installed?
    If so, how do you do that?

Thanks, Jim

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

Yes, many people find it easier to defrag in safe mode for that reason.

And yes, it is my understanding that you can have your programs on another harddrive or a different partition on the main hard drive than your OS (operating system). To do this, just boot your computer normally and when you are installing a program, you are asked in the installation process whether or not its okay to install in C:>programs/"name of program installed". You just direct it to D:>programs/ etc...

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Jim. It's not necessary to defrag in safe mode, but as you noted, some may prefer it to taking those other steps to insure an uninterrupted defrag.

A second HD can be installed without an OS. Briefly, just install it as a slave to your primary drive and reboot. Your operating system should hopefully recognize the drive, give it the letter D:, and then you can format it and your good to go to store whatever you want on there.

If you need specifics, let us know more about your pc, OS, etc.

:cool:

4. Del

Del

I've been running ME for years and the only way I can get thru defrag is in safe mode. Should work fine for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice