1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DEFRAG .... keeps restarting. Why?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigDaveinNJ, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

When I normally use DEFRAG.... I always shutdown everything, from screensavers to just about everything that I can.

Well, today, I did the same thing..... although DEFRAG will start, go for about 3 minutes and I will see it say DRIVES CONTENTS CHANGED.. RESTARTING.

Any ideas why this is happening? I am doing everything exactly the same and this has NEVER happened in almost 4 years on this computer.

Thanks in advance :)

DAVID

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

It's always best to run scandisk/defrag in safe mode where nothing can interfere with it ;)

3. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Dave,
    Even though "your" doing the same thing, the computer is different. Think of all the programs you may have installed, that may now be "auto starting" at boot, they will interrupt Defrag's process, if you were to let it just keep running though, it will catch up in between the interference and eventually finish, not an optimum choice.

Check this site out, it explains the most efficient procedure for Defrag, of course they want you to buy their Defragger, but the info is good.
    Defrag FAQ

Take note of the suggestion to disable your "swap file" too..

:)

4. witty

witty

Hope this is helpful .......don't use MS defrag (its useless) get a coopy of Diskkeeper either lite which is free or spend a little and get the full version. It's the best defrag software out there.

witty

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes Diskeeper is good. The only thing that I don't like about it is that you can't set it to scan more than on drive. You have to manually start them over and over again, each drive one at a time and if you have a lot of partitions this is a big hassle. Other than that it is much faster and does a deep scan than the standard defrag.

Dave you can check your start up folder to see what programs are starting up when you first boot. It's safe to remove any of these because they are just shortcuts to the program.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Witty:

I disagree. The built-in Windows defrag program works just fine. What I do recommend, if you have 95 or 98, is to install the ME version to replace it. It looks identical to the 95/98 version, but it runs faster. (y)

BigDave:

Read my article on hard drive maintenance.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. witty

witty

flavallee,

Defrags come down to personal experience. If I hadn't recommended Diskkeeper, it would have been PowerDefrag. I'm not a 'lover' of some inbuilt MS software.

I've never used ME, just 95, 98/98se, NT, W2K and XP as well as linux. I'll read your article. We can always learn new things. :)

regards
    witty

8. skyman

skyman

We all love what works for us and I have Norton Systems Works and "speed disk" is far better than MS defrag and Diskeeper.

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I guess this all depends on the computer, because I also have all three defrags and MS is the slowest, then comes the so called "speed disk" which is better than MS, but still not as fast or as good as Diskeeper. It should also be mentioned that there are three active versions of Diskeeper, and one might work better than the other ;)

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. It all comes down to personal experience. There's no one correct defrag program for everyone. I just prefer the ME version of defrag over the 98 version.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice