Defrag Nightmare

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dru2000D

Hi guys,

I have tried to defrag my HDD for ages now but theres still loads of fragmented files everywhere. Was wondering if there is any software out there that could possibly fix this problem?

Hello,

Are you using the Windows' defragmenter? If you have it set to "compress old files", it will take a long time to finish. This option can be removed and I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you how, but here's a link discussing that item.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1072401845

I defragment in Safe-Mode and it might be worth trying that way.

There are lots of stand-alone programs for defragmenting.

Diskeeper http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp

VoptXP (not just for XP) http://www.vopt.com/

being two. You can download their "Trialware" versions to see how you like them.

Good luck.

Bye,
Penny.

Hiya, I use Diskeeper and find it keeps things well and truly under control (especially like the 'Set it and forget it' mode). It's currently trialware although I'm pretty sure there was a freeware 'Lite' version released a couple of years ago, you could probably find it on Google .

Hello again.

If you're confident enough to make a registry change.

Click "Start"

Type "Regedit" in the box

Press F3 to get the search box

Paste this in it

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

and delete the key.

That stops compression of old files while defragmenting.

You make registry changes at your own risk and it's a good idea to export a copy of the registry before you make any changes.

Bye,
Penny.

Dru2000D

delete the VolumeEcache\Compress old files key?

thanks for your help, i've downloaded the Diskeeper and will run in a sec

Dru2000D

Just out of interest also, what is the "Set it and Forget it" feature?

Set it and Forget it defrags your disk automatically at a certian time.

Just to let you know you shouldn't defrag unless you have 15%+ free space otherwise it won't defrag properly.

Dru2000D

thats cool, ive got 73% free. diskeeper still seems to be taking ages. the registry key for old file compression...is it as i posted above?

thanks for your help!!

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Try cleaning up the drive. Run Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last System Restore point. Unhide files and folders and go to C:\Windows , and delete all the $NTUninstaller$ files you see.

Then Download and run CCLeaner to remove a lot of the junk files which accumulate on the system.

Then download Eraser and use it to erase the free space removing all of the old cluster tips to help your drive run better.

Did my C: drive yesterday and it is running better, and starting better.

Now that you are using Diskeeper 9 Professional you can run a boottime defrag and defrag the paging file which will speed things up. You should also use DK9 Pro's inbuilt Frag-Shield to check the condition of the MFTs if you are running on NTFS.

You can also delete all of the C:\Windows\Prefetch files and let them rebuild.

Of course 512Mb of RAM, or more, helps a lot when running XP.

Dru2000D

I got rid of all the $NTUninstaller$ files, ran CCLeaner and disk cleaner. I dont have the diskeeper pro, just the Lite version.

I should hope having over a Gig of RAM should help in my case lol

thank you

p.s. Eraser,I found a website for download but mentions every other version of windows, except XP. do you think it will be alright on XP?

RAM-PAGE

Banned
I use Eraser on XP Home & Pro. It was made for W2K too so it'll work on FAT32 and NTFS.

It doesn't look like the Eraser site has been added to since 2000.

Dru2000D

just running eraser now. the readme file shows it is compatible with XP. have you got a screenshot of what a defrag should look like by any chance?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Tuppence2 said:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

and delete the key.

That stops compression of old files while defragmenting.
Penny

This key is used by the Disk Cleanup routine, and I do not believe it has anything to do with Defrag.

Ram-page

Eraser is really a privacy/security tool, in that it gets rid of any data in a cluster that was used previously, and is still there as a result of the current allocation being smaller.

Why do you think this helps "your drive run better"?

As well, why delete the prefetch files and "let them rebuild"?

The information in these files is being updated every time a process is run to make the startup more effective, and to provide better data to defrag when it "periodically" runs.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
No, XP.
Why?
1. DiskCleanup is XP
2. Eraser is Eraser regardless
3. Prefetch is XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online