1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag on reboot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Toddles18, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

A while ago I read a post that told me how to do a one time deal to defrag windows before windows fully starts up to prevent programs running in memory from screwing with it. Problem is I forgot how to do this. So whats the secret?

2. brianF

brianF

DEFRAG.INF - DEFRAGMENT ALL DRIVES ON SUBSEQUENT WINDOWS STARTUP
    The Disk Defragmenter for Windows 98 (DEFRAG.EXE) may start and not complete its task. If repeated attempts to defragment the drive are unsuccessful, it may be because an application is writing to the disk. The Disk Defragmenter cannot share access to a drive with other tasks.

An application loading automatically at startup may interfere with DEFRAG. Run DEFRAG before applications load at startup by adding a value for DEFRAG.EXE /ALL to the RunServicesOnce key in the registry.

To add a value for DEFRAG.EXE /ALL to the RunServicesOnce key:

Select DEFRAG.INF in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the Windows 98 CD.

Right-click DEFRAG.INF
    -or-
    Hold down the SHIFT key and press F10.

Choose INSTALL to add the value for DEFRAG.EXE /ALL.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am attaching an inf file to add defrag to your runonce key.
    It will have a txt extension. Change that extension to .inf and right click, choose install.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Toddles18 PM'd me. I forgot to attach the file. I'm sorry. This is the same as following brianF's instructions. I have an HP and don't have all the extras founf on a normal Install CD. In the event that anyone else is in the same situation, here's the file.
    Change the extension to >inf, right click and choose install.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice