1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defrag packed up?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wdfndn, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wdfndn

wdfndn Thread Starter

Hi, my defrag program used to work fine but now it just sits there at 1%.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

If there is no fix are there any other defrag programs out there that I can use please?

Thanks
    Woody

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would delete all *.tmp files first. Clean out the temp internet folder; delete all cookies. Then run disk clean up. Now try defrag.

Yes, there are a few disk defraggmenters you can download. The best is diskeeper. The defrag in xp is a lite version of diskeeper.

3. WinXP2004

WinXP2004

Hi wdfndn

Safe Mode

Two options: During a boot, tap the F8 key or go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini and check off /SafeBoot/Apply, reboot. Or
    A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315222

Scan - Disk

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scan Disk/Thorough/Check on automanilly fix errors/start

Defragmentation - Disk

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter/Check on automanilly fix errors/start

Scan - Disk Standard

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scan Disk/Standard /Check on automanilly fix errors/start

4. rude

rude

Also,(and most people don't think of this)disable all your startup items and shut down all background programs.Defrag likes to have the whole system to itself.(Basically the same as safemode without having to go into safemode.)

5. wdfndn

wdfndn Thread Starter

Thanks guys I have success :)

Woody

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice