Defrag problem-HELP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chayes

upon defrag of my system i get a message that "some files could not be defragmented" upon checking i discovered that the files that will not defrag are temp internet files so i tried to delete them and no luck there it says "cannot delete file, cannot read from source file or disk" i cut n pasted my defrag results below.

win xp home compaq presario 2700us
PLEASE HELP
Volume Drive_C (C:)
Volume size = 18.63 GB
Cluster size = 512 bytes
Used space = 6.08 GB
Free space = 12.55 GB
Percent free space = 67 %
Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation
Total files = 45,028
Average file size = 237 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 2
Average fragments per file = 1.00
Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 384 MB
Total fragments = 1
Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 2,305
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0
Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 69 MB
MFT record count = 51,571
Percent MFT in use = 72 %
Total MFT fragments = 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3 110 KB \Documents and Settings\Princess\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CK50AZD\US[1].

ok r u the adminsitrator on this computer

u should be able to delete that folder if u are. It is not needed

Log on to another identity with Administrative rights and delete the entire Temporary Internet Folder from the identity in question. A new Temporary Internet Folder will be created when you log back on. See if that works. There may be a problem with the file system preventing the deletion. I hope not.

chayes

i have two profiles on my computer "princess" and "chris" both of which admin rights, the file i cannot delete is listed under the princess profile but is only visable when i am in the chris profile with this file path; \Documents and Settings\Princess\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CK50AZD\US[1].
when i log into the princess file i can navigate to; "Documents and Settings\Princess\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5", but the folder "3CK50AZD" containing the "US[1]." file is not there???
i dont understand this???

chayes

tried that and it says cannot delete us[1]. :cannot find the specified file make sure you specify correct path and file name

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online