1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defrag problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jcmukilteo, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcmukilteo

jcmukilteo Thread Starter

I have windows xp. When I go to defrag and click analyze, a message pops up and says i should defrag this volumn. After defragging a message says many files could not be defragged. When I click review report it shows that all files that could not be defragged are windows temp files. There are so many fragmented files left that if I click analyze again it still says I should defragment this volumn. In other words, my computer will not satisfactorly defrag files. I have 43% free space left. Any suggestions?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    jcmukilteo:

It's normal for Disk Defragmenter to display a report afterwards and advise that a certain number of files couldn't be defragged.

It's not necessary to install a third-party defrag program. The built-in Windows XP one does fine.

If you've never done it or haven't done it in awhile, you need to delete everything from inside these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

If a few files resist deletion, leave them alone and delete everything else.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

5. jcmukilteo

Thanks for the info. Deleted windows temp files and free space went from 43% to 52%. Also down loaded outside defrag program. Still a lot of red files in the windows defrag window but at least it says not necessary to defrag this volumn. thanks again.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Deleting the temp files in those 2 temp folders increased the free space from 43% to 52%?

Either that's a pretty small hard drive or there were a LOT of files and folders inside those 2 temp folders.

What's the hard drive capacity?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click the Recycle Bin, then click Properties, then move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click My Computer, then click Properties - System Restore, then move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Run Disk Cleanup, but don't delete anything there. Click Advanced Options(tab), then allow it remove all but the last restore point.

After that's done, restart the computer.

That'll reclaim more hard drive space.

7. jcmukilteo

I am basically a computer idiot. Don't use my computer for much. Hard drive is 2.5 gigs. There were almost 4,000 files just in windows temp files. Guess I should clean that out more often. Used your further suggestion to gain more space. Went from 52% to 59%. thanks again.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The hard drive capacity is 2.5 GB? :eek:

I haven't seen a hard drive that small since before 1997.

Is that hard drive in a single C partition or is it in multiple partitions?

What's listed in MY COMPUTER for the drive letters and names?

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. jcmukilteo

Intel (R)
    Pentium (R) 4CPU 2.80 GHz
    2.79 GHz. 2.50GB of RAM

Another question. My most fragmented file is one called \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.NETFramework. It has a file size of 17.77 GB and has 222,960 fragments. Is there anything I can do about this?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Open the MY COMPUTER window so you can see the list of drive letters and names.

What are the drive letters and names listed there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

There's no way that the hard drive can be a puny 2.5 GB in size if you're seeing something with a file size of 17.77 GB.

When I asked you for the hard drive capacity, what you apparently gave me was the amount of RAM - 2.5 GB.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice