1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defrag problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jcmukilteo, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcmukilteo

jcmukilteo Thread Starter

I have Windows xp home edition. When I open the defrag window and click anayze, a window pops up and says you should defragment this volumn. After defragging, when I check the window again it still says you should defragment this volumn. In other words, my computer will not satisfactorally defrag. I have 58% freespace still available. My most fragmented file is \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\microsoft.NETFramework. It has 222,960 fragments and a file size of 17.77 GB. Is this something I can delete and redownload or am I stuck?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Browse to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\ and right click on the 3.5 folder and select "Properties". Report back what size it says.

Are you experiencing any particular problems that make you think a defrag would be necessary or are you just concerned because windows says you need it?

17.77 Gigs is out of the question so Windows may be reporting improperly. Have you checked that drive for errors by running chkdsk?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    jcmukilteo:

You have this thread going for the defrag problem, and you have failed to reply to post #10.

Why have you started a new thread?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Marbleman

Marbleman

222k fragments is a lot of fragmentation!!. Even the best defraggers will take some time to clean that up. The default XP defragger will most likely choke on it, or be unable to defrag it at all if there are fragmented system files also involved in the mess.

I'd suggest that you download and use an evaluation version of a good commercial automatic defragger to clean it up; the full versions are not free, but the evaluation ones are. Set it to auto defrag in the background so you don't have to monitor it or wait for it to finish before using the computer. These trial versions are fully functional for about a month, I think that should be sufficient time to defrag 222k fragments lol.

5. jcmukilteo

Ran chkdsk. Took almost 2 hours to run. Rebooted. Still have same defrag problem. Will attempt to download commercial defrag progam and see how that works.

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Did you look to see if you actually have that 17.7 Gig file at the location I posted earlier??? You will be wasting your time trying to defrag if there is some rogue files such as that or some malware present.

Bottom line, you don't want a 17.7 Gig file in that location and deleting it is recommended. That may well be the answer to your problem but we'll never know if you don't respond as to what you found when looking in that directory. Butting your head against the wall and attempting to defrag a flawed system will get you nowhere except older. ;)

7. rdonovan1

rdonovan1

You could try moving the files to another hard drive and then trying it again. I've been experiencing something similar to that with one of my drives and I'm finding that if I move the files to another drive and then defrag, then it starts to clear itself up a bit.

8. jcmukilteo

Responce to surferdude2. Checked that location. This is what it says for file folder v3.5.
    Size: 17.8GB
    (19,154,933,233 bytes)

Size on disk: 5.05 GB
    (5,432,706,136 bytes)

164 files, 12 folders

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice