1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sharker, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having some problems defragging my computer. I have windows XP professional and am using the defrag utility that comes with it. My disk is something like 80% fragmented.

When I try to run defrag, it defrags for about half an hour, but only reduces the fragmentation by about 1% (it sometimes makes the fragmentation worse!). It says that there are some files that could not be defragmented. Some of these files are system volume information, others are large ordinary files.

I have tried running disk check and scanning for bad sectors, I have also tried running defrag in safe mode but it doesn't seem to make any difference. My disk is about 28GB of which maybe 15% - 20% is free but I don't think defrag has ever worked properly. Someone suggested that it is due to the size of the disk. What should I do? Is it possible to fix it without having to buy anything?

Sharker.

2. dabwid

dabwid

I am not sure about XP, but with 2000 I use ctrl-alt-delete, then the task manager window opens and I close out all programs except for system tray ang explorer. sometimes programs running in the background will stop a defrag from working properly.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most defiantly the small remaining space is causing you a problem. In order for defrag to work well you need to have more than 15-20% disk space free. Remove anything you do not need, delete all temp files, temp internet files, cookies, all except the last restore point. Now run defrag.

As to running in safe mode, it does no good. XP and Win2k are not like win9x in that they have problems running defrag in normal mode. You can run defrag and keep right on working; I do it all the time.

4. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

OK, Thanks, I'll try clearing some disk space. Any idea how much space I'll need? As clearing disk space is chore as I'm sure you know.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just run disk cleanup. It will give you the option to delete restore points. It is under the more options.

6. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

OK I've cleared some disk space. I now have 43% free. And I noticed in the windows help that it says that you need 15% free for a full defrag.

Unfortunatly it

7. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Oops, hit wrong button.

I was saying that it still won't defrag. Now at 73% fragmented.

I would be grateful for more advice.

8. tnik

tnik

go to the task manager (ctrl - alt - del) and make sure there are no programs running that don't need to be.. turn anti-virus off, firewalls, everthing but system processes, screen savers, power managment like power down harddrive, standby after so many min, and the like.. you want nothing running at all..

9. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Ok, I've now done defrag in command prompt in safe mode. I had a look in ctrl-alt-del menu and jst about everything seemed turned off. Unfortunarly defrag still didn't do much.

I noticed

10. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Opps hit wrong button again.

I noticed that the report showed that only 125 files out of about 27000 were fragmented. And the disk is now 65% fragmented. Which seems strange. I think the big files are the fragmenred one.

Any more advice?

11. tnik

tnik

It depends on what type of files they are too.. I'm sure that some data files cannot be de-fragmented to preserve their data.. maybe database files or something..

12. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

The large files that can't be moved are mostly .wav files.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Very large files such as image, iso, etc. show as fragmented. I really would not worry too much about it. You could move the files in question to another partition / disk / removable media; then defrag the partition.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why can you not move these files? Will the os not let you move them or do you not have room to move them? If you are running out of room, I would invest in another drive. They are pretty cheap right now.

15. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Sorry, I was being confusing. I meant that the defrag program could not defrag the .wav files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!