1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag problems!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seanrickard, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanrickard

seanrickard Thread Starter

OK, So i've tried to defrag in safe mode and everything, and everytime it gets to 15% or so and tells me that some files could not be moved or something to that effect, then it has the view report button. So when I click the view report button this comes up....

Volume (C:)
    Volume size = 64.15 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 51.83 GB
    Free space = 12.32 GB
    Percent free space = 19 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 35 %
    File fragmentation = 62 %
    Free space fragmentation = 8 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 79,950
    Average file size = 901 KB
    Total fragmented files = 754
    Total excess fragments = 458,919
    Average fragments per file = 6.74

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 756 MB
    Total fragments = 416

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 8,011
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 119 MB
    MFT record count = 91,933
    Percent MFT in use = 75 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    7,914 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e01.repack.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    8,728 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e02.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    8,401 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e04.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    9,283 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e06.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    8,405 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e03.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    7,931 173 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\South.Park.S08.DVDRip.XviD-AERiAL\south.park.s08e05.dvdrip.xvid-aerial.avi
    11,205 230 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E10.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.repack.avi
    11,170 231 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E05.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.proper.avi
    11,320 232 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E09.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.avi
    11,271 232 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E03.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.avi
    7,386 233 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E01.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.avi
    11,328 233 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E06.PDTV.XviD.XOR.avi
    11,625 233 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E02.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.avi
    13,099 233 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6\Curb.Your.Enthusiasm.S06E07.PDTV.XviD.NoTV.avi
    6,461 346 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.616.hdtv-lol.avi
    6,300 348 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Rescue Me S1 (DVDRip)\rescue.me.s01e10.dvdrip.xvid-ffndvd.avi
    6,323 349 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Rescue Me S1 (DVDRip)\rescue.me.s01e07.dvdrip.xvid-ffndvd.avi
    9,699 349 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.619.hdtv.xvid.notv.avi
    6,258 350 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Rescue Me S1 (DVDRip)\rescue.me.s01e03.dvdrip.xvid-ffndvd.avi
    11,166 350 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\extreme.makeover.home.edition.s05e22.pdtv.xvid-fqm.avi
    9,296 350 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.618.hdtv-lol.avi
    8,986 350 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.620.hdtv-lol.avi
    6,840 351 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\The.Sopranos.S06E15.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi
    9,392 351 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.621.hdtv.xvid.notv.avi
    6,744 351 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.613.hdtv.xvid.notv.avi
    7,060 351 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\The.Sopranos.S06E14.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi
    9,280 351 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\flavor.of.love.s03e06.dsr.xvid-crimson.avi
    9,283 352 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\The.Sopranos.Season.6\the.sopranos.617.hdtv-lol.avi
    11,222 703 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Punch Drunk Love.avi
    12,725 800 MB \Documents and Settings\Christina Littleton\My Documents\Azureus Downloads\Into the Wild[2007]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG\Into the Wild[2007]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG.avi

So if anyone could help me figure out what I can do it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's normal. Some files can't be moved and some are too large to defrag. It is nothing to be concerned about. As files get rearranged, you may be able to defrag them later.

Your drive is pretty full and you should consider buying a drive. More files can be defragged if there is enough space.

3. seanrickard

I'm aware my drive is super full, I've been taking steps to help that situation. Other than that, can you tell me what that information means, as far as the status of my computer.
    Also, about how much does a new drive cost?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

On modern drives, the degree of fragmentation that yours has will have absolutely no effect on performance. It's always nice to be able to defrag most files, but sometimes that is really not feasible.

If you'd like to do a slightly better job, you could turn off your page file and reboot, Then defrag and turn it back on. That will not only give you more space temporarily that may allow better defragmentation, but it will create a new, unfragmented (if space allows) page file.

You could install a second drive and move some things over to that (such as your docs folder). An estimate for a drive is the $100 range, but there are deals if you look around. You may even want to look into an external one that connects to USB so you can back up your files for when the drive finally fails. It's just a matter of time before it will give out and you lose what is on the drive.

5. seanrickard

Oh, and by the way... is there anyway that i can defrag the rest of my computer, because I think it only got about 30% or so. Thanks very much for your help.

6. seanrickard

I'm so sorry, I am more of less computer illiterate. What is a pagefile? And how does one go about turning it off?

7. DawnS

DawnS

My answer as far as how much a new drive cost is a bit variable as new tech has aided us. Small USB "flash drives" are able to hold data as large as 8 GB now. Also, you have the choice of getting an external hard drive or an intenal hard drive. Hard drives themselves cost around $90 on up depending where and size you buy. If you go with an external, you will need to get an enclosure as well. Those are around $20.

It makes no sense, but when you most need to defrag is when your HD is full. *laughs*

Unfortunately, Windows requires a certain amount of free space to sucessfully defrag. Try to do something easy like take all your MP3's and documents and sending them over to your new drive.

It is not the individual documents themselves that is keeping you from defragging. But the WHOLE folder and several others things. See if you can un-install old games or fully un-install old programs you are no longer using.

8. seanrickard

I've uninstalled all my games and old programs and whatnot, but I have ALOT of music on my computer, and I think if I delete it, it will be taken off of my Itunes which just doesn't work for me.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. That is the whole point. There is either not enough room or the files are locked and not defraggable. It is usually not possible to completely defrag a drive. Turning off the defragger fragments the drive again even if you could.

10. DawnS

DawnS

No, no, I am suggesting you delete your MP3's. I am suggestion you save them to your new HD or USB flash drive.

Sorry about the confusion.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Put the music on CD's or DVD.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice