1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag Vista hp 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Verylost, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Verylost

Verylost Account Closed Thread Starter

Ok i know how you don t like to clean junk off a hard drive - history etc or clean/ fix the regestry with free ware but what do you think of using Defrag i see so many versions about - on vista HP 32 bit ? Is the defrag that comes with vista good or can i do better and which one and how often and lastly how do i know if its needed i d assume it shouldn t be done to often.

Thanks later . .

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You can clean junk files (emptying temporaries) safely and that has some benefit. Cleaning the registry however does not improve the performance of the machine and can cause many problems with your computer. See this TSG library article for a bit more information.

As to defragmenting the drive, the Windows defrag tool does a fine job. One thing that some people dislike about the Vista Defrag tool is that it shows you very little information about how fragmented the drive is in the first place. However the defrag tool can be configured to run on a regular schedule and then effectively forgotten about - barring only the chance that your computer is always off when a defrag is due.

The other reason that some people go for third party defrag programs is that they are very good at fudging the numbers to make it look like they make a difference. In particular the Vista tool will not, by design, move any fragments larger than 64 megabytes as they have no noticeable effect on performance and defragging will only strain the drive. The 3rd party tools will claim that all of these are problematic fragments and your drive is perhaps an additional 25% fragmented on top of the real value. (The thing about big files is that they come to 25% quite quickly.)

My advice is the following:
    Remove and do not use registry cleaners on your computer.
    Set up the Vista defrag to run on a weekly or monthly schedule.
    Spend your effort on other more valuable things, such as avoiding malware.
    Just get on with using your computer.

3. Verylost

Verylost Account Closed Thread Starter

Ok you ve lost me a bit where you say the other reason i am confused can you please explain a bit what that means - fudging numbers -25% etc - thanks

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You have to understand that when a dive is fragmented it means the files on the drive are broken up over different bits of the drive. You therefore waste time moving from the location of the first part of the file to the location of the second. Defragging simply means reorganising the drive so that all the files are contiguous--the whole file in one section.

From Vista on Microsoft decided not to defragment files where the fragment itself was larger than 64 megabytes. They realized that it is too much work for the hard disk to have to move 64 megabyte chunks around, and the benefit of doing so it is practically 0.

Now let's say that you might have 4 video files on your drive, about 1GB each. Each is split into 2 sections in different places on the drive. Microsoft's study has determined that it doesn't help to defrag them, and its tool will rightly leave them in place. However if you ran a third party tool it would claim that you had 4 gigabytes of "fragmented files" on your drive and promise to fix them. They're decision is wrong, but many people will assume that they are superior to the Microsoft tool which apparently didn't even see the fragments.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice