Defrag w/XP Pro or Norton Speeddisk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

halcour

Which would be better?

Also, I'd like to shut down everything running in Taskbar Manager that I don't absolutely have to have during the defrag. What do I need to leave running?

Thanks much,
Harold

crjdriver

By far xp's built in defrag. It is based on a lite version of diskkeeper. IMO anything made by symantec should be uninstalled or never installed in the first place.

CRJ,

Well that's a bit harsh....although I don't use any Symantec products either :D

But isn't Speedisk a little different than Defrag :confused: I was under the impression that it arranged files on the drive based on Frequency of access...placing high activity files on "speedier" portions, and grouped together.

The result 'supposedly' giving benefit beyond a defrag.

I agree with crjdriver.

The only Norton product worth installing would be their Corporate Antivirus software, other than that....stay away.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Two cents worth ...
I read somewhere that your XP prefetch folder/service will help windows defrag arrange the files.

Also - somewhere - NEVER switch defrag utilities.

After I've used my computer awhile and defrag several times - I clean and disable the prefetch service.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2495.html

NOYB said:
Also - somewhere - NEVER switch defrag utilities.

NOYB,

I read that same thing next to an article about always sleeping on the same side of the bed!!! :D

crjdriver

I have just seen too many systems that had some form of symantec software installed [and had problems that could be traced to the software] It is somewhat difficult [at times] to uninstall it. I have just never seen a need to pay for something [norton av] when avg does a better job for free.

Again this is just my opinion. Others may like symantec products.

halcour

crjdriver said:
I have just seen too many systems that had some form of symantec software installed [and had problems that could be traced to the software] It is somewhat difficult [at times] to uninstall it. I have just never seen a need to pay for something [norton av] when avg does a better job for free.

Hmm. Thanks for bringing this up, but that's kind of discouraging. I bought the program to solve problems, not cause them. It has definitely caused me some hassles in the past and now I'm wondering if should I be using it at all.

I'd be most interested in reading other opinions on this.

Thanks,
Harold

I agree with removing all Symantec programs. They should pay the customer for using their junk because of the time needed to fix problems they cause.

If you don't like WinXP defrag, try Perfectdisk. It has a free trial that is a fully operating version and I believe it is for 30 days.

I'm curious, I use Norton Utilites about once a month...WinDoctor to be exact. I haven't personally had problems with it, but I know a few people who have had serious issues. I too have been looking for something else. I've been thinking about picking up a copy of TrendMicro's HouseCall, but I am interesting in a program similar to WinDoctor. It is a nice little cleanup that makes me feel good when I run it. Any suggestions?

crjdriver said:

Hmm, i went to AVG's homepage(www.grisoft.com) and all i see is 30 day trials software, nothing free ?
Correction
I found a link to the free version on google, strange you can't find it at their homepage ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online