1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by commander, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commander

commander Thread Starter

I defrag my hard disk from time to time, as one should; recently I have been reading that doing it with the Windows XP built-in version is not as effective as other methods as it can't defrag the paging file since it is in use.

It occurred to me that if I put my hard disk in another PC as a slave and ran a defrag on it from the primary drive the paging file would not be in use. Would this give me a better quality defrag?

Peter
    UK

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That is the hard way around to do it. I would get a third party defrag tool, (I use diskeeper pro) and do a bootime defrag.

Diskeeper is about $29:00 and you'll never have to deal with it again. I am not sure that this is even needed or how much good it really does but I have it. I bought it so I can set up automatic defrag while I am not using the machine.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

On a badly fragmented drive, I disable the page file . . delete all system restore points . . reboot to Safe Mode and defrag twice . . that does a very good job of straightening out the drive.

Be sure to go back and turn the page file and system restore on when you reboot.

wrs

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That sounds like a very good way to do it Simpswr. I never thought of it. A brand new page file could hardly be fragged could it?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

and it's free!

6. commander

commander Thread Starter

Interesting thoughts and some good ideas thanks. Although it is more long winded, would my method work better than defraging the drive from which windows has booted up, or does the Windows defrag program automatically avoid the page file anyhow, in which case I guess it would be no better?

Peter
    UK

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The page file isn't touched by windows defrag. Turing off the page file is quick and easy, turning it back on is just as painless. If you defrag with the disk set as slave, I believe the pagefile would be disregarded and quite possibly just deleted because the other drive would have a pagefile on it.

Simpswr's way is the best "free" way to do it I would imagine.

8. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    I use W-ME defrag. Not sure if it will work in XP though.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!