1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Delta Dart, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delta Dart

Delta Dart Thread Starter

Hello All:
    I have a question for anyone out there.
    If you run Cmd Prompt with administrator privileges, type "DEFRAG" & enter, a screen displays a syntax message for several defrag options. If you enter the syntax
    "defrag c: -a" (will take 20-30 Sec. to run) this will run a fragmentation analysis. My question is will the resulting information "You do not need to defrag this volume" be valid. This is similar to the WIN 2K defrag test without the fancy color display.
    I also understand VISTA runs defrag as an unseen back ground test during normal on time. Am I correct about this?
    Russ

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

All correct. If you go to this page, it will explain MS's thoughts on it.
    I understand the biggest reason for the "first time" defrag is the shadow copying, which is meant as a safeguard. There are many contoversial reports about the progam, including its speed compared to XP.
    I ran XP in a dual boot for some time after installing Vista. One observation was that, whilst defragging XP, with its pretty pictures, it made it difficult to use the OS. Now that the Defragging is a background operation (Rightly so!) I do not have that problem in Vista.
    I no little of the geometry involved, but I also read that 1. NTFS volumes did not, in any case, need defragging but 2. When defragged, the performance of the OS improved. I checked this out with several reinstalls, during the Beta testing era, but could not detect any speed improvement.

3. Delta Dart

Delta Dart Thread Starter

Thanks Uhaligani for the confirmation.
    Could you reply with the MS thoughts address you mentioned.
    Russ

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

NTFS volumes don't fragment as much as FAT32, but they do need to be defragged. Doing it too often is counterproductive and doesn't give the OS time to gather data needed for optimal file placement.

Considering the number of people I know who never have defragged and never heard of it, the automatic idea is a very good one.

For a fast defrag with a GUI:

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice