1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defrag

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by staffingpro, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. staffingpro

staffingpro Thread Starter

I am running XP home and trying to defrag. running defrag from the program build into windows it is not working. what to do. gary

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "no working"?

Does Defrag actually start?
    If not, are you seeing error messages?

Has it ever worked?

3. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    i don't use the windows defrag,i use this one,much better & it's free,.
    you only need to do a full defrag once & then let this defrag program run in the background,it only runs when your machine has been idle for awhile so it won't slow you down. check it out,,,works for me,,i like it.
    http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

4. alisongrey

alisongrey Banned

The link posted by Mr. Newton is definitely worth checking out, I remember using that a while a go and had good results. It doesn't drain the resources at all and runs nicely in the background, unlike some of the others I've experimented with.

What is actually happening when you attempt to run the normal Windows defrag? Are you receiving an error message or is it just not responding? It could be involvement from a virus, or something as simple as a broken reference to the application. Let us know if you have an error to work with.

5. staffingpro

The degrag starts but does not defrag the drive. Gary

6. WhitPhil

OK.

Defrag starts. You click on the defrag button.

Then what?

Does the area under Estimated disk usage before defragmentation and Estimated disk usage after defragmentation, populate with blue,red, green, etc bars?

And then defragmentation starts?

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

How much free space is on your drive?
    It is recommended to be 25% free space.

8. WhitPhil

In order to run "effectively" defrag needs free space on the drive. But the size of the space needed should be in relation to the amount of data present, not the size of the drive.
    The XP defrag wants 15% available, but will run with less. As a result of having less available, it will run slower and potentially not be able to defrag some files if they are large.
    But, it does run.

9. staffingpro

After it does the analysis, you see both bars that show defrag what it could be and the current situation. Yes you see all the blues red, yellow etc. I have at least 50% space on my hard drive.

10. WhitPhil

And ....

Then defrag runs to completion???

Why do you think that it's not working?

11. staffingpro

using your program did not accomplish any results. After it had completed, I went back to the systems tools built into windows, brought up defrag analyse and did not see any improvement. Gary

12. staffingpro

After analyse defrag starts and does show all the red, green blues lines etc. But after it had completed which took less the a couple of minutes it has done nothing. The first time I defrag it ran for wuite a while but the results did not change or very little changed. Just ran this program and nothing changed. http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html. gary

13. WhitPhil

After the defrag completes, select View Report then Save As
    Save the TXT file and then attach it to a Reply Post

14. staffingpro

Volume (C:)
    Volume size = 146 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 69.69 GB
    Free space = 76.40 GB
    Percent free space = 52 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 34 %
    File fragmentation = 66 %
    Free space fragmentation = 3 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 103,481
    Average file size = 895 KB
    Total fragmented files = 4
    Total excess fragments = 1,070,775
    Average fragments per file = 11.34

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 3.42 GB
    Total fragments = 5

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 10,365
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 151 MB
    MFT record count = 124,070
    Percent MFT in use = 80 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    4 566 MB \Documents and Settings\gary reynolds\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
    1,070,705 8.13 GB \Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\log\TmProxy.log
    65 34.25 GB \Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\log\cfw_log.txt

15. WhitPhil

Your results look relatively normal.

There are only 4 files that are fragmented, so when defrag ran it was in fact working. Not being able to defrag 100% of all files is normal.

You have a huge pagefile (3.5 GBs) that is fragmented, but this is really not serious as the pagefile is not read in it's entirety anyway, thus the fragmentation will have no affect on performance. The native defrag does not defrag this file, but there are apps available that can.

The files that can't be defragged are huge. TmProxy.log shows a 8Gbs and cfw.log as 34 GBs!

The former belongs to Trend Micro antivirus and, from a couple of search hits, seems to indicate that it can be deleted.

I would look in CFW and see if this option can be disabled, and looked in the AV and see if the file size can be controlled.

The latter belongs to Trends Common Firewall and appears to be a debugging file that is also a candidate for removal.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice