1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Defraggers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FreeSteve, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FreeSteve

FreeSteve Thread Starter

So many out there, VoptXP, Norton, Power, Diskeeper, etc., and I am interested in what you and why you choose what you use and why you will not recommend ?? I am interested in finding the "very best" based on speed and precision, so thank you in advance.

2. bigtuna420

bigtuna420

i use diskeeper and it seems to work fine. it integrates itself with the defragger that comes with xp. it will also allow you to defrag more than one drive at a time which is good if you have multiple harddrives.

3. cnm

cnm

I use O&O 2000 Free from www.oo-software.com.. Nice graphic display of disk layout, and it has a super feature where you can click on a block and get the name of what file is in that location.

I tried diskeeper but didn't like the overhead. It wants to do everything automatically, and also it has no graphic display of the disk.. Also tried PerfectDisk. $40 seems too high to me, though, when O&O and the built-in XP defrag are free .

XP can be set to defrag pagefile etc on boot, but you can also do boot time defrag of pagefile, hiberfil, and registry hives with (free) PageDfrg from www.sysinternals.com.

All of them use the Win API so probably the bells and whistles are the only significant difference.

4. greyeyezz

greyeyezz

I tried perfect disk which rearanged all the blocks of data then rearanged it back the way it was before the next time, diskeeper took an hour and didn't do a very good job as in harddrive was a mess, vopt works wonderfull and is faster than all the rest, 2-3 min, i highly recomend trying it.

5. Tushman

Tushman Banned

You want speed and precision? Go with Executive Software Disk Keeper 7.0 for NT based systems and Norton's Speed Disk for Win 9.x. If your budget only allows for 1 software, i recommend going w/ the Disk Keeper.

I've tried that O & O defragger, I didn't find it to be very effective compared to Disk Keeper.

6. cnm

cnm

What can you mean by effective? It fixes the fragmentation and compacts the free space. I don't know about speed, they all seemed about the same to me.

Edit: All are somewhat faster that the built-in XP defragger.

7. blkhawk1

blkhawk1

i run 2 hds, 1 with xp pro and 1 with me. i use the me scandisk and defragger for both drives. works fast.
    Blackhawk

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice