Defragging an SSD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It does not defrag an SSD
http://learn.condusiv.com/rs/condusivtechnologies/images/Diskeeper_Datasheet.pdf

Instant Defrag™ technology has been enhanced to monitor volumes

to resolve critically fragmented files in real-time that are known to cause

performance problems, making it SAN-friendly. This feature is turned off in

the event of solid-state drives.
Personally on windows 10 where the system is managed very well by Windows - Microsoft provided automatic disk management - eg optimization and self checking I would leave such programs where they are - I consider it an unnecessary and to some extent unwanted utility

Windows places certain files in specific parts of the disk structure and expects to see them there -in that location
If Diskeeper or indeed other such programs decide these files maybe moved to make more contiguous blocks, then that I think may well cause problems with updates and other aspects of the windows 10 system management.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Instead of “defragging,” Diskeeper 18’s patented engine ensures large, clean contiguous writes from Windows so fragmentation is no longer an issue for HDDs or SSDs.
I've never heard that fragmentation is an issue in SSDs ???
Sounds like a snake oil sales pitch ???

managed

Allan
From what I have read about this it's actually a bad idea to 'defrag' SSDs because it makes unnecessary extra reads and writes.

pcguy9441

OK, guess what I meant to say is "Do I need this for an SSD?" defrag or no defrag. Looks like they use some magical caching scheme to make defragging moot. I'll run with the idea that Microsoft has a grip on it and keep it simple.

BTW, do you guys with 20K+ posts get much sleep or take time to eat? Thanks for the fast replies. Great forum!

6 over and out.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do we get sleep
Well my good colleague Noyb if you look has had 13 years to top 20K
FIVE years start on my good self

managed sleeps most of the time as you can see from his meagre count :D:D:D

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When this SSD Defrag concern started a few years ago ... The SSDs were not so durable.
I was wearing out one SSD a year ... In XP without trim.

SSDs are made much better now ... And W7 helps.
Just this year, the new Samsung 860s are 8>10 times better than last years 850s
But there's still no reason to defrag.
I'm getting much sloowwwweeeer in my ole age :)

This 850 is about year old with 3500 hours

Attachments

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just FWIW ...
Here's an older Samsung 840 that was used for the OS in a XP computer ...
Heavily used for Photoshop ...etc ...

You can see the read/write wear effects on the read/write transfer times ....
The XP OS was in the first ~~75% of the 128Gig SSD
This is after about 8000 hours.

Attachments

pcguy9441

My "C" is a Patriot Blaze 240G about 18mo old. Is it any good?

My former Win10 "C" was the Samsung 840 EVO at 120G. Made the big mistake of cutting corners on cost with my first SSD so the EVO is now my Win7 which I virtually never boot to.

What should I shoot for next time? The Blaze is only at 50% capacity, so unless it craps out on me, no need to upgrade that I can see.

I'm not up to speed with HD tune and interpreting benchmark results. Can you comment on the attached for my Blaze? Looks sorta ok to me.

Thanks

HD tune bench.JPG

pcguy9441

Wow, here's the Samsung 840 result. I had no idea SSDs' varied so much.

What's the brain trust recommend for "the best" SSD in 2018 at 500G range? I realize "the best" is subjective and will vary with time. I guess to rephrase, what brand is the consistent gold standard for quality, reliability and long life?

Summary:
EVO 120G avg 192MB/sec
Blaze 240G avg 338MB/sec (my current "C" drive. Only use an SSD for the OS)

Samsung HD.JPG

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Blaze looks good ... (still fast) ...
But I'd say that your Samsung 840 is wore out ...
I wonder what Samsung's Magician would say about it ??
Disc Info will tell you many hours are on them

I'm sticking with Samsung .... 250 G is enough for my W7 OS only ...
... Because all my personal data is in WD HDDs ... (Twins for backups)
Actually, I have a third 1TB (Data Z) in an external enclosure.... (triplicate data backups)

Attachments

Last edited:

pcguy9441

Yeah, that will probably be in my next build, if my current machine would just hurry up and wear out. 3rd DIY PC in 15 yrs or so far for me and no hardware failures yet (knock on wood). Since I mostly just surf and email and MS Office, 4gigs should do for a while, unless I can maybe triple my typing speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online