1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

defragging corrupts Raid 5 Array

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wenospeak, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wenospeak

wenospeak Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm a total newbie and need help. I will try to explain the situation as best I can.

The symptom: I can no longer defrag my PC. Whenever I run Diskeeper, my Raid card starts beeping and the array must be rebuilt.

The system: Windows 2000 Professional. Super Trak SX6000, Raid 5 Array, four 80gig hard drives on channels 1,3,5,and 6.

The history: I recently ran Norton's Speed Disk (I was using Diskeeper 7.0 without any problems) and about 75% of the way through, the raid card started beeping and the optimizing stopped. When I restarted, the array needed to be rebuilt (channel 6). I gave up on Speed Disk and decided to go back to Diskeeper. The first thing I noticed was the previously large "Reserved System Space" area was missing from the graphical display. Within minutes of running Diskeeper, the raid card started beeping and the channel needed rebuilding again. I went to Promise's website and followed the recovery procedure by deleting the array, then creating a new array (without any data loss). I also reinstalled Diskeeper (with the new second edition update) and the problem remains the same - I can't defag.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice