defragging Windows ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jonib24

:mad: After almost 2 years, I still can't get my Windows ME to defrag. I've tried everything suggested on several sites. The most I could get up to was 4% and yesterday, in safe mode, I got up to 12% and then nothing. System resources averages 20%. Being a novice, the simplest terms are the best. Could there be a virus causing this and is there a disk to repair the problem? How about a web site to repair? Thanks!

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
After a fresh boot, what is your resource percentage?

If it's not in the mid-80 range, odds are extremely good that you have too many apps starting at boot time, some of which may be viral/malware, and may be contributing to defrag not running.

Run this online virus check

Download SpyBot. Run it, use the update function to get the latest definitions, then scan and allow it to delete what it finds.

And, download and install HiJackThis

Run it and copy/paste the log that it creates, back here for review.
Download

Did you run scandisk before the defrag? If so did it show any errors.

Recently my defrag would'nt run because of bad sectors on the hard drive.I downloaded a utility that fixed the problem for now.The diskeeper lite program mentioned previously is very good,if you can get your drive in good enough shape to run it.Its much faster than the windows defragger.It can also analyze your drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts